Crispy, crunchy, salty, sweet, and oh so sticky, Potato Chip Krispie Treats with Chocolate are the ultimate over the top snack. Kids and the kids at heart will fall in love with this fun confection.
There is something so fun and nostalgic about rice krispie treats. Whether they’re summery Strawberry Shortcake Rice Krispie Treats or this potato chip version, they never last long. This version replaces the traditional puffed cereal with salty and savory potato chips for the ultimate mashup snack creation.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Fun – There is nothing like that combination of sweet and salty. This delivers on both in a fun way with minimal ingredients.
- Easy Process – Other than melting the butter and the marshmallows, there is no cooking required. This is a great recipe to get kids into the kitchen and have fun with.
- Customizable – You can swap out the type of chocolate for a different flavor profile and also sprinkle in additional toppings if desired. Feel free to bring out the sprinkles!
You don’t need a long list of ingredients to make something delicious. Potato Chip Krispie Treats with Chocolate comes together in minutes with just four simple ingredients. You probably even have them already.
- Butter – You can use dairy free butter or dairy butter for this recipe. It helps thin out the marshmallows.
- Marshmallows – Sweet, sticky, and completely irresistible, this is the glue for the krispie treats. Use your favorite brand but the Kraft Jet-Puffed marshmallows are always a classic.
- Potato Chips – Pick your favorite plain variety. You want a sturdy potato chip to hold up to this like Ruffles.
- Dark Chocolate – The slight bitterness of dark chocolate compliments the salt and balances out the sweetness of the marshmallows.
How to Make Potato Chip Krispie Treats with Chocolate
With just a few ingredients and less than twenty minutes, you’ll be diving into your new favorite snack attack fix. They should come with a warning though because they’re guaranteed to disappear fast!
Time needed: 15 minutes
Crunchy, salty potato chips replace the puffed rice in the nostalgic sticky sweet treat.
Heat a stockpot over medium heat with the butter. Allow the butter to melt.
Lower the heat. Add the marshmallows to the pot and stir until they’re fully melted and combined with the butter.
Add the potato chips to the pot and gently toss until they’re fully coated.
Spread the potato chips onto a baking sheet into a fairly even layer.
Melt the dark chocolate and drizzle it over the top of the potato chips.
I used dairy free butter for this recipe. You can use regular dairy butter and the measurements will be the same.
Have fun swapping out the dark chocolate in this for other types of chocolate such as semi-sweet chocolate or white chocolate. You can also add a sprinkle of toppings while the chocolate and marshmallow mixture are still warm such as sprinkle, crushed nuts, or swap out the chocolate for a caramel drizzle. Have fun with it!
How to Create a Double Boiler
When you create a double boiler, it allows you to cook or melt something at a gentle heat without worry of over cooking it. This is useful for making custards, meringues, melting chocolate, etc. The best part is you don’t need any special tools.
Armed with a pot of simmering water and a glass bowl, you can easily create a double boiler at home. The key is to make sure the water never touches the bottom of the bowl. You want the steam created from the seal to do all of the work.
The potato chips in this krispie treats recipe will begin to soften once they sit. Bake sure to keep them stored in an airtight container at room temperature. They will stay fresh for up to four days.
Top Tip for Potato Chip Krispie Treats with Chocolate
Because the potato chips are the base of this recipe, replacing the classic puffed rice cereal, you want to pick a sturdy potato chip that will hold up to the process. Ruffles not only are a thicker potato chip but their shape will give the melted marshmallows and chocolate something to cling to.
Use a nonstick baking sheet for this recipe, or line your baking sheet with either nonstick foil or wax paper. That will make it easy to remove the chips from the pan.
Potato Chip Krispie Treats with Chocolate
- 1 stockpot
- 1 Baking Sheet
- 4 tbsp butter
- 10 oz mini marshmallows
- 8.5 oz Ruffles potato chips
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate, melted
- Heat a stockpot over medium heat. Add the butter and allow it to melt.
- Lower the heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until they're melted. Turn off the heat.
- Add the potato chips to the pot and gently fold until they're covered in the marshmallow mixture.
- Gently spread the potato chips out onto a baking sheet.
- Melt your dark chocolate in a double boiler or the microwave. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the top of the potato chips.