It’s a bold claim to say something is the ultimate. It doesn’t just take panache and moxie, the flavors have to speak for themselves. This gluten free and dairy free coconut cream pie with a trifecta of coconut flavor is just that.
What Makes this the Ultimate Dairy Free Coconut Cream Pie?
Coconut cream pie is a taste of summer. In fact, can you think of any one thing that’s more summery than coconut? Because it’s equally perfect for a backyard barbecue as it is an elegant meal, it already stands out.
I love coconut which should be clear since I’ve already shared my Gluten Free Pineapple Coconut Scones recipe a few weeks ago.
However, what makes this dairy free coconut cream pie the balance of rich coconut flavor, and its luscious, creamy texture. Coconut cream keeps this pie irresistibly silky and dreamy. A generous snow flurry of coconut flakes adds texture to this tropical treat.
This recipe for the Ultimate Dairy Free Coconut Cream pie uses pantry staples making it easy to create anytime.
- Gluten Free Pie Shell – Cup4Cup Gluten Free Pie Crust Mix makes creating a delicious pie crust easy. Created in the kitchen of Thomas Keller’s French Laundry, their Gluten Free flour and mixes are chef developed and make baking easy.
- Coconut Cream – Thick, rich, and silky, this adds pure coconut flavor while adding to the texture of this pie.
- Egg Yolks – The addition of extra yolks makes the custard rich and decadent.
- Eggs – The base of the coconut custard for this cream pie.
- Cornstarch – Helps bind together the custard and lets it hold its shape.
- Water – Helps form the cornstarch slurry used to thicken and stabilize the custard.
- Sweetened Coconut Flakes – Gives texture while infusing even more coconut flavor.
- Dairy Free Whipped Cream – What is coconut cream pie without a fluffy cloud of whipped cream?
- Toasted Coconut – The finishing touch and final layer of coconut flavor that also brings a little crunch.
How to Make the Ultimate Coconut Cream Pie
Not only is this the only Dairy Free recipe you will ever need for coconut cream pie, it’s also easy. With a few simple steps you will be biting into the taste of the south.
Time needed: 5 hours
The hardest part of making this pie is patiently waiting for it to chill.
- In Crust We Trust
Make your pie shell or graham cracker crust. Allow it to cool before proceeding with the rest of the pie.
Add your eggs, yolks, sugar, and coconut cream to a bowl and whisk together until fully combined.
Pour the egg and coconut cream mixture into a saucepan over medium heat.
Whisk together the water and cornstarch to form a slurry. Pour it into the coconut and egg mixture.
The most labor-intensive part of this recipe is the stirring. You will want to continually stir the mixture, keeping it over medium heat. It might take 5-10 minutes but could be a little longer.
You will know it is thick enough when it coats the back of a spoon, and you can run you finger down the center with the sides firmly holding their shape.
- Finishing Touch
Once the custard has thickened stir in the sweetened coconut flakes and vanilla.
Pour the coconut custard into the chilled pie crust. Smooth it out. Cover with plastic wrap. Allow it to chill for at least six hours in the refrigerator.
When ready to serve, top your pie with Dairy Free whipped cream and toasted coconut flakes. Enjoy!
This Dairy Free Coconut Cream Pie is equally as delicious with a flaky baked pie crust, and also a Gluten Free graham cracker crust. The recipe includes an option for the graham cracker crust.
Let’s talk making pie. Feel free to use whatever crust you prefer. I used a gluten free pie shell for this one, but also love a gingersnap crust. Use what you like or have on hand.
The base of this smooth and cloudlike pie starts with a custard.
Don’t rush the process. You’re going to cook the mixture on low until it’s thick and sumptuous.
Because there are eggs in the mixture, you don’t want to curdle them. Just give it love and let it go slow and low as you continuously stir.
Next, you’re going to chill it, and wait patiently for that first decadent slice. This is a refrigerator pie that needs to set up. Four hours is a good base but feel free to make this the night before.
Now that I know you’re craving a slice of the Ultimate Gluten Free and Dairy Free Coconut Cream Pie, let’s get baking!
Frequently Asked Questions
In order to activate the cornstarch and help the custard thicken, you will want to cook your custard at a medium heat while constantly stirring.
Make sure you are cooking your custard over a medium heat. Also make sure that you used coconut cream. The thickness of the coconut cream combined with the cornstarch and egg and egg yolks will create a pudding like texture. The custard will also thicken even more as it cools.
I like to use sweetened coconut in the pie and then garnish with coconut flakes.
The average time for your custard to thicken while stirring is between 5-10 minutes, but it could take a little longer.
The Ultimate Dairy Free Coconut Cream Pie
- Pie pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Sauce pan
- 1 Gluten Free pie shell, baked Your favorite
- 2 14 oz cans of coconut cream NOT COCONUT MILK, this must be coconut cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Dairy Free whipped cream and toasted coconut for topping
Gluten Free Crust
- 2 cups Gluten Free graham crackers, crushed
- 6 tbsp Dairy Free butter, melted
- 1 tbsp sugar
- If making a Gluten Free pie shell, prebake your crust. Allow it to cool before proceeding with making the pie.
- Add the eggs, sugar, and coconut creams to a bowl and whisk together.
- Pour the egg and coconut cream mixture into a medium stockpot over medium heat.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and water to form a slurry.
- Pour the cornstarch slurry into the egg mixture and continually whisk over medium heat until it thickens. It should coat the back of a spoon.
- Once thickened stir in your coconut flakes and vanilla.
- Pour the coconut custard into the prepared crust.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow the pie to refrigerator for at least 6 hours.
- To serve top with Dairy Free whipped cream and extra coconut flakes.
Gluten Free Graham Cracker Crust
- Add your graham crackers to a food processor and blend until they form a fine sand.
- Melt your Dairy Free butter.
- Add the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter to a bowl and stir to combine. It should resemble wet sand.
- Pour the crumb mixture into an 8" or 9" deep pie pan. Press down to form the crust. The bottom of a measuring cup works well for this.