It’s a bold claim to say something is the ultimate. It doesn’t just take panache and moxie, the flavors have to speak for themselves. This gluten free and dairy free coconut cream pie with a trifecta of coconut flavor is just that.
What Makes this the Ultimate Dairy Free Coconut Cream Pie?
Coconut cream pie is a taste of summer. In fact, can you think of any one thing that's more summery than coconut? Because it's equally perfect for a backyard barbecue as it is an elegant meal, it already stands out.
I love coconut which should be clear since I've already shared my Gluten Free Pineapple Coconut Scones recipe a few weeks ago.
However, what makes this dairy free coconut cream pie the ultimate is two-fold. First, let's talk about the triple threat of decadent coconut flavor.
To begin with, coconut cream brings that luscious, creamy texture and flavor. Next comes the coconut milk. Its lighter flavor profile adds another layer of pure coconutty goodness.
And what's coconut cream pie without actual coconut? A generous snow flurry of coconut flakes add both texture and the third component of this tropical treat. Add in the toasted coconut on top, and you have yet another dose of coconut.
In addition to the different coconut flavors harmoniously playing together it's also gluten free.
Because I am using coconut cream and coconut milk as the liquid in this recipe, it not only doubles up on the flavor, there's no need for dairy. All of your coconut loving friends will be devouring this pie. Just make sure to save yourself a slice...or eat directly from the pan. No judgement because it's that good!
Easy as Pie
Let's talk making pie. Feel free to use whatever crust you prefer. I used a gluten free pie shell for this one, but also love a gingersnap crust. Use what you like or have on hand.
The base of this smooth and cloudlike pie starts with a custard.
Don't rush the process. You're going to cook the mixture on low until it's thick and sumptuous.
Because there are eggs in the mixture, you don't want to curdle them. Just give it love and let it go slow and low as you continuously stir.
Next, you're going to chill it, and wait patiently for that first decadent slice. This is a refrigerator pie that needs to set up. Four hours is a good base but feel free to make this the night before.
Now that I know you're craving a slice of the Ultimate Gluten Free and Dairy Free Coconut Cream Pie, let's get baking!
Frequently Asked Questions
In order to activate the cornstarch and help the custard thicken, you will want to cook your custard at a medium heat while constantly stirring.
Make sure you are cooking your custard over a medium heat. Also make sure that you used coconut cream. The thickness of the coconut cream combined with the cornstarch and egg and egg yolks will create a pudding like texture. The custard will also thicken even more as it cools.
I like to use sweetened coconut in the pie and then garnish with coconut flakes.
The average time for your custard to thicken while stirring is between 5-10 minutes, but it could take a little longer.
The Ultimate Dairy Free Coconut Cream Pie
- Pie pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Sauce pan
- 1 Gluten Free pie shell, baked Your favorite
- 2 14 oz cans of coconut cream NOT COCONUT MILK, this must be coconut cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Dairy Free whipped cream and toasted coconut for topping
Gluten Free Crust
- 2 cups Gluten Free graham crackers, crushed
- 6 tbsp Dairy Free butter, melted
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Add your graham crackers to a food processor and blend until they form a fine sand.
- Melt your Dairy Free butter.
- Add the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter to a bowl and stir to combine. It should resemble wet sand.
- Pour the crumb mixture into an 8" or 9" deep pie pan. Press down to form the crust. The bottom of a measuring cup works well for this.
- Add the eggs, sugar, and coconut creams to a bowl and whisk together.
- Pour the egg and coconut cream mixture into a medium stockpot over medium heat.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and water to form a slurry.
- Pour the cornstarch slurry into the egg mixture and continually whisk over medium heat until it thickens. It should coat the back of a spoon.
- Once thickened stir in your coconut flakes and vanilla.
- Pour the coconut custard into the prepared crust.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow the pie to refrigerator for at least 6 hours.
- To serve top with Dairy Free whipped cream and extra coconut flakes.