It’s a bold claim to say something is the ultimate. It doesn’t just take panache and moxie, the flavors have to speak for themselves. This gluten free and dairy free coconut cream pie with a trifecta of coconut flavor is just that.
What Makes this the Ultimate Dairy Free Coconut Cream Pie?
Coconut cream pie is a taste of summer. In fact, can you think of any one thing that's more summery than coconut? Because it's equally perfect for a backyard barbecue as it is an elegant meal, it already stands out.
I love coconut which should be clear since I've already shared my Gluten Free Pineapple Coconut Scones recipe a few weeks ago.
However, what makes this dairy free coconut cream pie the ultimate is two-fold. First, let's talk about the triple threat of decadent coconut flavor.
To begin with, coconut cream brings that luscious, creamy texture and flavor. Next comes the coconut milk. Its lighter flavor profile adds another layer of pure coconutty goodness.
And what's coconut cream pie without actual coconut? A generous snow flurry of coconut flakes add both texture and the third component of this tropical treat. Add in the toasted coconut on top, and you have yet another dose of coconut.
In addition to the different coconut flavors harmoniously playing together it's also gluten free.
Because I am using coconut cream and coconut milk as the liquid in this recipe, it not only doubles up on the flavor, there's no need for dairy. All of your coconut loving friends will be devouring this pie. Just make sure to save yourself a slice...or eat directly from the pan. No judgement because it's that good!
Easy as Pie
Let's talk making pie. Feel free to use whatever crust you prefer. I used a gluten free pie shell for this one, but also love a gingersnap crust. Use what you like or have on hand.
The base of this smooth and cloudlike pie starts with a custard.
Don't rush the process. You're going to cook the mixture on low until it's thick and sumptuous.
Because there are eggs in the mixture, you don't want to curdle them. Just give it love and let it go slow and low as you continuously stir.
Next, you're going to chill it, and wait patiently for that first decadent slice. This is a refrigerator pie that needs to set up. Four hours is a good base but feel free to make this the night before.
Now that I know you're craving a slice of the Ultimate Gluten Free and Dairy Free Coconut Cream Pie, let's get baking!
The Ultimate Dairy Free Coconut Cream Pie
- Pie pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Sauce pan
- 1 Gluten Free pie shell, baked Your favorite
- 14 oz can coconut cream
- 14 oz can coconut milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp butter, Dairy Free
- Dairy Free whipped cream and toasted coconut for topping
- In a mixing bowl, combine the coconut cream and milk, egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch, making sure the sugar and cornstarch are thoroughly incorporated.
- Add to a medium sauce pot on low heat.
- Continually whisk until the sugar has dissolved, the mixture has thickened, and the color has lightened. Approximately 10 minutes.
- Once the filling has thickened, add the butter, coconut flakes, and vanilla. Stir until completely incorporated and smooth.
- Pour into the baked and cooled pie shell.
- Allow to refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Top with your favorite whipped topping and toasted coconut. Slice and enjoy!