The New Year is just around the corner and it's time to celebrate! What is your favorite special occasion sweet treat? Dairy and Gluten Free Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes are a classic that turn any meal into an event.
Lava cakes are one of my husband's favorite desserts. There is something magical about sinking your fork into its gooey center and watching the big reveal, such as Gluten Free White Chocolate Pistachio Lava Cakes. This rich and decadent version of the classic gives you all of the flavor and texture you love of the original with elevated ingredients.
Baking doesn't have to be complicated. Dairy and Gluten Free Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes takes only a handful of ingredients and combines them into the ultimate chocolate lovers dream. Ooey, gooey, and dangerously delicious, make this confection part of your special occasion.
- Dark Chocolate Chips - The higher the quality the chocolate, the more flavor you will have. Dark chocolate makes this dessert extra decadent and rich yet a little complez. Use your favorite.
- Dairy Free Butter - Used in both the ganache that is the base of this recipe and also to lightly grease the ramekins.
- Eggs - Makes this dessert light and airy.
- Mocha Sugar - Javamelts Mocha Flavored Sugar is made with 100% pure cane sugar. It's free of artificial flavors and infuses extra rich chocolate flavor into everything. Use it like you would sugar in any recipe.
- Gluten Free Flour - Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour is my go-to flour for both sweet and savory recipes. It makes it easy to convert recipes that aren't written as Gluten Free without having to add anything additional.
- Baking Powder
- Cocoa Powder - Used to line the ramekins for easy release.
How to Make Dairy and Gluten Free Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes
These rich and decadent cakes are a chocolate lover's dream. Make them for a special occasion, or make them just because.
Time needed: 45 minutes.
Delicate dark chocolate cake is combined with an ooey gooey molten center for a truly luxurious treat.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly butter six ramekins and dust them with cocoa powder.
Add your eggs and sugar to a mixing bowl and beat on high for about five minutes until the mixture is light yellow.
- Double Boiler
Create a double boiler. Bring a pot of water filled halfway full to a simmer. Fit a bowl over the top making sure that the water never touches the bottom of the bowl. Add the chocolate and butter and stir until melted.
Add a little of the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture to temper it and bring the eggs to a warmer temperature. With the mixer running add the remaining chocolate and mix to combine.
Add the flour and baking powder and mix to just combine.
Divide the batter between the 6 ramekins and place on a baking sheet. Allow them to bake for 12-14 minutes. The center will form a divot and they will still be jiggly.
Allow the Dairy and Gluten Free Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes to sit for 3 minutes and then flip onto a plate and serve!
This recipe is completely Gluten Free and Dairy Free. However, you can make the same recipe with dairy butter and regular all-purpose flour.
Substitutions for Dairy and Gluten Free Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes
If you don't have mocha sugar, you can use regular sugar for this recipe. In addition, feel free to replace the dark chocolate chips with shaved dark chocolate from your favorite chocolate bar.
- Ramekins - This recipe will make 6 cakes in traditional sized ramekins.
- Double Boiler - Using a double boiler makes it easy to melt the chocolate and butter mixture gently without it getting too hot and seizing up or breaking.
Once these chocolate lava cakes are cooled, they can be refrigerated. Keep them covered and they will keep for up to five days.
Top Tip for Dairy and Gluten Free Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes
Always temper your eggs before adding all of the chocolate to them. Adding a little of the warm chocolate ganache to the mix first brings the eggs closer to the temperature of the chocolate. This will gently warm them so when the remaining chocolate mixture is added in, they don't scramble. This will give you a smooth and luxurious batter that will create that silky and molten texture.
Dairy and Gluten Free Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes
- 1 mixing bowl/mixer
- 1 Double boiler
- 6 ramekins
- 1 Baking Sheet
- 6 oz dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup Dairy Free butter, plus 1 tbsp for ramekins
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup Javamelts Mocha Flavored Sugar
- ½ cup Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the eggs and sugar to a mixing bowl. Mix on high for about 5 minutes until they are a light, pale yellow.
- Create a double boiler. Bring a pot filled halfway full to a simmer and fit a bowl over the top, making sure the water never touches the bottom of the bowl.
- Add the chocolate and butter to the bowl. Stir until they're melted and combined. Remove the bowl.
- Add a little of the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture to temper the eggs.
- Add the rest of the chocolate to the eggs with the mixer running.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix until just combined.
- Butter 6 ramekins and dust them with cocoa powder.
- Divide the batter between the 6 ramekins and place them on a baking sheet.
- Bake the chocolate lava cakes for 12-14 minutes. The center will have a divot and they will still be jiggly.
- Allow them to cool for 3 minutes.
- Invert them onto a plate to serve. They can also be eaten out of the ramekins.