It’s always a bold statement to claim something is the best. For some it might be easy to throw that word around, however when it comes to testing, perfecting, and tweaking my recipes, I always make sure the first bite backs up the statement. When I say this is The Best Gluten Free Cornbread, I know all it takes is that first bite for you to agree.
How are you topping your cornbread? Are you a little drizzle of honey person? How about next to your hearty bowl of chili? Or maybe you are like me and have to have that first warm slice straight from the cast iron pan with a smear of Dairy Free butter.
Moist is the Word
The perfect cornbread is all about texture. It’s that combination of a slightly crispy crust and a delicate, tender, and yes moist crumb.
Through much trial and error I found the perfect combination of ingredients and the magic formula to guarantee the best bite of cornbread each and every time. First, let’s talk flour. Cornbread is a combination of cornmeal, and flour. For this recipe I am using Gluten Free 1 to 1 flour.
What does 1 to 1 flour mean? Unlike other Gluten Free flours, it’s an equal one to one measure compared to non Gluten Free flour. You don’t have to worry about adding anything additional. I love Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour. This flour is perfect for quick breads, such as cornbread.
In addition to having the right flour, The Best Gluten Free Cornbread is all about using the right tool. There is nothing like baking your cornbread in a cast iron skillet. It helps you achieve that crust you’re looking for while also keeping the heat even and consistent. If you’re cast iron isn’t well seasoned make sure that you oil your skillet well.
I promised you moist, and the key to the amazing texture in this cornbread is a little secret I am gladly sharing with you, creamed corn. That’s right, one little can of creamed corn helps keep this cornbread tender, decadent, and moist. So are you having a slice for breakfast or serving this up for dessert.
Steps to The Best Gluten Free Cornbread
Not only is this the ultimate recipe for cornbread, it’s also easy. Let me walk you through each step.
- Preheat your oven. Prepare your cast iron skillet. You want to make sure that it is well greased.
- Mix your oil and sugar for 3 minutes. This will begin to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients and mix to combine.
- Add your dry ingredients. Be gentle when mixing them in as you don’t want to over mix.
- After pouring your batter into your prepared cast iron pan you can add a few daps of Dairy Free butter if your like.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes. The top should be golden brown and a toothpick should come out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Have fun with your toppings!
The Best Gluten Free Cornbread really is that easy! Are you looking for more easy recipes? Make sure you check out my recipe for Dairy Free Steak Taco Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing. Now let’s get baking!
The Best Gluten Free Cornbread
- Mixing Bowl
- 10" cast iron skillet or 9×9 baking dish
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup oat milk
- 2 eggs large
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup creamed corn
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the oil and sugar on high in a mixing bowl for 3 minutes. Add the rest of the wet ingredients and mix to combine.
- Add your dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Don't over mix.
- Pour the batter into an oiled cast iron skillet or baking dish. Dot with pats of Dairy Free butter if desired.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Enjoy!