Did you grow up with casseroles? There’s something comforting about adding all of your ingredients into a baking dish and in an hour or less having dinner on the table. This Gluten Free Bacon Ranch Chicken Casserole will become a new family favorite.
The word casserole seems to be a little divisive. People either love them, or avoid them like a dog trying to escape bath day. Some people find them to be the ultimate comfort food while others find them to be too heavy.
We're not only upgrading the casserole with this fresh dish but also lightening it up. While many casseroles are heavy with rice, pasta, and rich cream sauces, this one uses a base of roasted spaghetti squash.
What does spaghetti squash taste like? It's delicate with a hint of sweetness, like a really mild butternut squash. With the magic of a fork, it shreds into long pasta like tendrils perfect for absorbing endless possibilities of flavors.
For this Gluten Free Bacon Ranch Chicken Casserole we're infusing the bold bright flavor of ranch. Dairy Free cream and parmesan are combined with aromatic grassy dill and parsley. Bacon joins the party bring that savory bite. And because well, bacon. It really does make everything better.
Gluten Free Bacon Ranch Chicken Casserole, Steps to Success
We'll start with the roasted spaghetti squash since this is the base for this flavor packed casserole. There are many different methods for cooking spaghetti squash but for the best flavor and texture I prefer roasting it.
If you have the extra time, lightly salt your spaghetti squash and allow it to sit cut side down on paper towel. This will draw out excess water and give you a more al dente, roasted texture.
For the sauce portion of this casserole, mix it and forget it. There's no need to cook the sauce as it'll bake in the oven. You simply want to thoroughly incorporate everything.
This recipe calls for two chicken breasts that have been cooked and shredded. If you meal prep, this is a great way to use up that chicken you cooked earlier in the week. If you want an even faster time saver you can also use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. This Gluten Free Bacon Ranch Chicken Casserole truly is about convenience.
Do you love bacon as much as I do? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Cheesy Bacon Croquettes.
Are you ready for a casserole reinvented? Let's get cooking!
Gluten Free Bacon Ranch Chicken Casserole
- Casserole Dish
- 1 spaghetti squash, cut in half, seeds removed
- olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dill
- ¾ cup Dairy Free cream, unsweetened
- 1 cup Dairy Free parmesan
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded may use rotisserie chicken
- 4 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped
- Cut spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds.
- If time allows, sprinkle with salt and allow to drain cut side down on a paper towel lined baking sheet for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drizzle spaghetti squash with olive oil and lightly season with salt. Face cut side down on the baking sheet.
- Bake 45 minutes or until fork tender. Allow to cool.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl except for the parmesan. Mix thoroughly so the spices are incorporated. Add your parmesan and stir to combine.
- Spray a casserole dish with non stick spray.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Using a fork, shred the spaghetti squash and add to your casserole dish.
- Add the chicken and ranch mix and toss to combine. Top with the bacon.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Enjoy!