Don’t you love when food can instantly transport you somewhere else? It will be a tropical vacation at first bite when you taste this Dairy Free Pineapple Coconut Tres Leches Cake.
Tres Leches, A Tale of Three Milks
What is tres leches? It literally translates to three milks. In this case we're using Dairy Free condensed sweetened milk, Dairy Free evaporated milk, and coconut cream. In the case of the condensed milk and evaporated milk, they're also coconut based giving you a triple infusion of that coconut flavor.
Traditionally tres lechese is a sponge cake soaked in the milk mixture. For this Gluten Free cake we're making an easy pineapple-coconut cake to suck up all the creamy coconut syrup.
The combination of milks and the texture set this dessert apart and make it truly special. Imagine sinking your fork into a soft and pillowy bite. As the liquid absorbs into the cake it becomes velvety and luxurious, transforming it into something completely different.
Dairy Free Pineapple Coconut Tres Leches, A Tropical Treat
There's something magic about the mingling of pineapple and coconut. It immediately takes you to the islands. It's the flavor of vacation, smell of suntan lotion, and of course the taste of a piña colada that instantly puts you in a happy mood.
This Gluten Free and Dairy Free Pineapple Coconut Tres Leches takes those familiar flavors and gives you a delicious new way to have your cocktail and eat it too.
To begin with, let's start with the cake. For this recipe I'm using 1.1 Gluten Free flour. This is going to make it easier for you to mix your batter. You won't have to worry about adding in things like xantham gum. The work is already done for you.
For the next part of the batter I'm going to add vanilla yogurt. For this recipe I'm using a dairy free coconut based yogurt. You'll get the added benefit of moisture in your cake with even more added coconut flavor.
Lastly chopped pineapple and unsweetened coconut are going to bring that taste of the tropics while also giving this cake texture amid the creaminess. Every bite will deliver this dreamy duo.
Love coconut? Make sure you check out my recipe for the The Ultimate Dairy Free Coconut Cream Pie.
Get ready to transport yourself, family, and friends to that breeze in your hair, sand between your toes, salt water in the air mood. Let's make Dairy Free Pineapple Coconut Tres Leches Cake!
Dairy Free Pineapple Coconut Tres Lechese Cake
- 2 mixing bowls
- 9x13 baking dish
- 3" or deeper casserole dish
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup toasted coconut sugar
- 5 oz Dairy Free vanilla yogurt
- 2 cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup avocado oil
- ½ cup chopped pineapple
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 13.66 oz sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 12.2 oz evaporated coconut milk
- 11.25 oz coconut cream
- Dairy Free whipped cream, for serving
- Toasted coconut, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9"x13" baking dish with non stick spray.
- Ad the eggs and sugar to a mixing bowl and beat for 3 minutes.
- Add your yogurt, vanilla, salt, and oil and mix until just combined.
- Add all of your dry ingredients. Mix until just incorporated.
- Add your chopped pineapple and coconut last and fold in until evenly distributed.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake for 25-35 minutes, or until the top is lightly golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Combine the evaporated coconut milk, coconut cream, and sweetened condensed coconut milk in a bowl.
- To assemble, remove your cake from the baking dish.
- Cut cake in half.
- Place half of your cake into the deep casserole dish. Using a fork poke holes into the cake.
- Pour half of the coconut milk mixture over the cake. Top with the other half of the cake.
- Pour the rest of the coconut mixture of the top.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
- To serve, top with Dairy Free whipped cream and toasted coconut.
The recipe doesn't say what size cans of coconut cream or sweetened condensed milk.
I apologize for that, I will get that corrected. The coconut cream is a 13.66oz can and the sweetened condensed milk is 11.25. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.