Go ahead and roll up your sleeves when you sink your teeth into the crispy crust and juicy meat of the Ultimate Smashburger Recipe. Piled high with a hug of molten cheese and sweet onions, this is a classic you’ll be grilling up all summer long.
Burgers are a food group unto themselves and a total comfort food. Whether they’re Loaded Chili Cheeseburgers or this diner classic, they’re always a crowd pleaser. The best part aside from how delicious they are is also how easy they are to customize.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Quick Cooking – Unlike some burger recipes that require more of a slow and low approach, these cook up in a matter of minutes at high heat.
- Familiar Flavors – This is a cheeseburger you can totally roll up your sleeves up and get a little messy with. As much as I love a exotic burger like Peanut Butter and Jelly sometimes you just need that fully loaded cheeseburger topped with all of the classic fixings.
- Make Ahead – Not only do these burgers cook quickly but you can form the balls ahead of time and then smash them up when you’re ready.
- Party Favorite – This recipe makes two double burgers or four singles, but you can easily double, triple, or quadruple the ground beef making this the ultimate party food.
- Texture – Smashburgers are all about texture. They have those cravings of super crispy bits and pieces while also still being incredibly juicy.
Not only is the Ultimate Smashburger Recipe easy to make but it only requires a handful of simple ingredients. This is the perfect way to celebrate grilling season and the sunny days of summer.
- Laura’s Lean Ground Beef – Laura’s Lean Beef is the #1 brand of natural beef. It’s a source of clean, lean protein. The beef is sourced from cattle that never receives antibiotics or added hormones. Because it’s lean, it cooks up faster making it not just a healthier choice but perfect for any night of the week. This is beef you can feel good about serving your family.
- Mayonnaise – Adds a little richness to the burger.
- Pickles – Adds brightness and acidity that wakes up all of the flavors plus gives crunch.
- Salt and Pepper – It doesn’t take much to let the beefy flavor shine for these burgers.
- Cheese – Pick your favorite. There is nothing like that ooey gooey bite.
- Caramelized Onions or Onion Spread – Adds sweetness to every bite.
How to Make an Ultimate Smashburger Recipe
Get out your cast iron skillet and fire up the grill! This Ultimate Smashburger Recipe is a true taste of the summer and the burger recipe you will be using all grilling season. Whether you’re team mustard or reaching for the ketchup, everyone will love this.
Time needed: 20 minutes
Crispy yet juicy and hugged in molten cheese, these fully loaded burgers are both easy and irresistibly delicious.
Heat your gas grill to 400 degrees. Place a cast iron skillet or griddle on the grill and allow it to heat up.
Divide your beef into four and form 4 balls. Mix together your salt and pepper and make four 5″ pieces of wax paper.
Add a little vegetable oil to the cast iron skillet and place a ball of meat down. Place the wax paper over the top and use a burger press or metal spatula to evenly smash it down. Repeat with the remaining three. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the top. Let the first side cook for two minutes or until it’s begin to brown and sizzle.
Flip the burgers and top with cheese. Allow the second side to cook another couple of minutes.
Spread mayo onto the bottom burger bun and add pickle slices. Top with 1-2 burger patties and add your onion spread. Top with the top bun and dive in!
How to Make This Recipe Gluten Free
You can use any type of bun you like with this recipe. To make this recipe completely Gluten Free use your favorite brand of gluten free buns. Don’t forget to toast them!
How to Make This Recipe Dairy Free
You can use whatever your favorite type of cheese is to top these cast iron smashburgers. To make this recipe Dairy Free, simply top them with your favorite variety of dairy free cheese.
Tools for the Ultimate Smashburger Recipe
- Grill – This recipe can be made on a gas grill, charcoal grill, or even a griddle. You will want your gas grill heated to 400 degrees and a charcoal grill should be prepared for direct grilling. Because cast iron skillets can heat up quickly, make sure to also leave a cooler side to slide your skillet to if making this burger recipe on the charcoal grill.
- Cast Iron Skillet/Griddle – A cast iron skillet evenly conducts heat and is suited to the high temperatures of the grill.
- Spatula – A metal spatula or burger press will allow you to evenly flatten out your burgers.
- Wax Paper – Using wax paper when smashing your burgers will prevent the spatula from sticking to the meat.
Feel free to form the balls of meat for these griddled smashburgers ahead of time. You can make them the night before or the morning of. Keep them stored on a baking sheet wrapped in plastic wrap in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
Leftover burgers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Either gently reheat them in a skillet or in the microwave.
Top Tips for the Ultimate Smashburger Recipe
- Chill Your Meat – While there are many recipes that have you bring your meat to room temperature, this isn’t one of them. These burgers cook incredibly quickly and cooking the meat cold helps keep them juicy.
- Pick Your Toppings – Have fun adding your favorite toppings. The ones in the recipe are just some of my favorites.
- Don’t Overcrowd – If you have a smaller skillet start with doing two burgers at a time. Keep in mind they will spread out quite a bit when you smash them. You want them to brown, not steam.
Ultimate Smashburger Recipe
- 1 grill
- 1 cast iron skillet or griddle
- 1 metal spatula or burger press
- 4 5" pieces of wax paper
- 1 lbs Laura's Lean 92% Lean, 8 % Fat ground beef
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 4 slices of cheese
- burger buns
- onion spread or caramelized onions
- Cut 4 5" pieces of wax paper.
- Preheat your grill to 400 degrees. Place a cast iron skillet on direct heat or a griddle and allow it to heat up.
- Divide your meat into 4 and them form 4 balls of meat.
- Mix together your salt and pepper.
- Add the oil to the hot cast iron and allow it to heat.
- Place a ball of meat on the hot skillet and then place a piece of wax paper over the top. Use your spatula or burger press to flatten it out evenly.
- Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over the top.
- Proceed with the remaining balls of meat, careful not to crowd the pan. You can work in batches if needed.
- Let the first side cook for 2 minutes or until it's sizzling and brown.
- Flip your burgers and top with cheese.
- Let the second side cook until brown, about 2 minutes.
- To assemble your burgers spread mayo over the bottom bun. Top with pickles. Add 1-2 burger patties on top and then spread the caramelized onions over it. Top with the top bun and enjoy!