Ah, Peanut Butter Cookies! Just the name brings back fond memories of childhood kitchen escapades, doesn’t it? Imagine the delightful smell of cookies wafting through the house as these bake to perfection, promising a warm, comforting treat with every bite. They are the perfect mix of sweet and salty, with that unmistakable peanut butter kick. Plus, this recipe is not only delicious but straightforward and easy. If you’ve been searching for that classic, old-fashioned peanut butter cookie recipe that tastes just like the ones from yesteryears, look no further.
Why You’ll Love Peanut Butter Cookies
- Simple Ingredients: This recipe doesn’t call for anything fancy or hard-to-find. All the components are staple pantry items, making it a breeze to whip up a batch anytime.
- Versatile Treat: Perfect for an afternoon snack with milk, as a sweet treat after dinner, or even for those mid-morning munchies. These cookies are suitable for almost any occasion.
- Easy Preparation: No fuss, no frills. Just straightforward baking that even novice bakers can master.
- Heartwarming Nostalgia: Every bite takes you down memory lane, reminding you of the cookies of your childhood.
- Texture & Flavor: The crispy edges combined with the soft center and the burst of peanut butter flavor are a cookie lover’s dream come true.
What You’ll Need To Make Peanut Butter Cookies
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Hand mixer or kitchen aid mixer
- 9×13 baking sheet
Ingredients You Need To Make Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1.1 gluten-free flour
- Brown sugar
- Kosher salt
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Creamy peanut butter
- Vanilla extract
How To Make Peanut Butter Cookies
Start by setting your oven to 350 degrees. Ensure you line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Take a mixing bowl, add in the butter and sugars, and get mixing on high for about 5 minutes. Next, throw in the egg, vanilla extract, and that delightful peanut butter. Once that’s mixed well, you can introduce the dry ingredients, but remember, mix only until it’s just blended. You don’t want to overdo this step, trust me. Now, get your ice cream scoop and start doling out those cookie portions. Remember to press down each mound gently with a fork, creating that iconic crisscross pattern. Pop them in the oven and bake for about 11-13 minutes. You’ll know they’re done when the edges start turning a light golden brown. Once baked, let the cookies chill on the baking sheet for around 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack. Once cooled, it’s time to dig in!
Commonly Asked Questions
Can I use chunky peanut butter instead of creamy?
Sure, you can! Using chunky peanut butter will give your cookies a slightly different texture, introducing little bits of peanuts into the mix. However, the classic taste remains intact.
How do I store these cookies?
Peanut Butter Cookies store quite well. Once cooled, place them in an airtight container. They’ll stay fresh for about a week – though, in my experience, they rarely last that long!
Can I add chocolate chips or nuts?
While this classic recipe is delightful as is, if you’re a fan of a little extra crunch or sweetness, you can definitely add in some chocolate chips or nuts. However, remember, straying too far might change the essence of these classic cookies.
Why is the crisscross pattern essential?
Apart from the aesthetics, the crisscross pattern made by pressing a fork onto the cookie dough ensures even baking. Plus, it’s a signature look for peanut butter cookies!
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Mixing Bowl
- Hand Mixer or Kitchen Aid Mixer
- Baking Sheet
- 1 cup 1.1 GF flour
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tsp
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Add the butter and sugars to a mixing bowl and mix on high for 5 minutes.
- Add in the egg, vanilla and peanut butter.
- Then add the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Don’t over mix as this will change the texture.
- Using an ice cream scoop to scoop equal size cookies.
- Use a fork and press down gently in a crisscross direction.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes.
- The edges will be slightly golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
In an era where dessert menus are bursting with complex, gourmet concoctions, there’s something incredibly heartening about returning to the classics. Peanut Butter Cookies are simple, warm, and cozy. This recipe, in particular, captures the essence of what makes these cookies so beloved. It marries ease of preparation with impeccable flavor, ensuring that each bite is a delightful journey back to simpler times. Whether you’re sharing them with family, friends, or savoring them solo with a cup of coffee, these Peanut Butter Cookies are sure to warm your heart and soul.