Bring a taste of Provence straight to your kitchen. Tangy, lightly sweet, deeply aromatic, and bursting with flavor, Lemon Poppyseed Pound Cake with Lavender is a twist on the classic.
There’s something that’s both fun and elegant about the pop and slight crunch of poppyseeds. Whether they’re in Mango Poppyseed Bundt Cake or this citrus kissed pound cake recipe, it’s an ingredient that instantly brings texture to a dish. Add in the delicate floral caress of lavender and you have a new classic that will have your family reaching for another slice.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Easy Process – In the world of baking, pound cakes are one of the easiest recipes to make. Just a little mixing and then bake it!
- Accessible Ingredients – Pound cake recipes, including this lemon poppyseed pound cake, require baking staples and nothing complicated. Flour, fresh lemons, sugar, eggs…you probably have most of the ingredients on hand.
- Balance of Flavors – This lemon pound cake is lightly sweet, bright, and tangy, with that savory floral pop of lavender. You can easily serve this as a sweet treat for an afternoon pick me up with tea or dessert.
Aside from the lavender extract, this Lemon Poppyseed Pound Cake with Lavender utilizes baking staples and a few fresh ingredients. It’s combination of sunny lemon and intriguing lavender makes this cake elegant, but the ingredients are completely effortless.
- Flour – No need for anything fancy. Regular all purpose flour works just fine in this lemon poppyseed loaf recipe. For gluten free, use a 1 to 1 flour so you don’t need any additional ingredients.
- Kosher Salt – Enhances all of the natural flavors of the ingredients and balances the sweetness.
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Lemon – You will need fresh lemons for this. Both the juice and the lemon zest add different components of bright and vibrant citrus flavor.
- Amoretti Lavender Extract – This highly concentrated extract is made with natural flavor and is free of preservatives. It can be used in both sweet and savory dishes and adds the delicate flavor of violet lavender.
- Olive Oil – Adds richness and moisture to this lemon loaf cake.
- Poppy Seeds – Adds a slight nutty flavor and crunch.
How to Make Lemon Poppyseed Pound Cake with Lavender
Unlike many cake recipes that might call for multiple steps, this easy lemon pound cake only takes a few. Its balance of sweet and savory flavors and sunny burst of lemon makes it perfect for any time of day.
Time needed: 1 hour and 20 minutes
The classic lemon poppyseed cake gets an elegant twist with the aromatic addition of floral lavender.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a loaf pan and set it aside.
- Zest of Life
Add the sugar and lemon zest to a bowl. Use your fingers to massage it and mix together. This will release the citrus oils from the zest and perfume the sugar.
Add the eggs, olive oil, lavender extract, and milk to the bowl and mix to combine.
Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix until everything is just combined. Be careful not to over mix.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread it out. Let it bake for 50-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow it to cool completely.
Mix together the ingredients for the glaze. Pour over the cooled pound cake and enjoy!
How to Make This Recipe Gluten Free
This pound cake recipe can be made completely gluten free. Use a 1 to 1 baking flour such as Bob’s Red Mill. The measurements will be exactly the same.
How to Make This Recipe Dairy Free
This recipe is easy to make completely dairy free. Use your favorite plant based milk such as oat milk. Make sure that you use an unflavored and unsweetened variety of dairy free milk for this. The measurements will be the same.
Tools for Lemon Poppyseed Poundcake with Lavender
- Mixing Bowl/Mixer
- Loaf Pan
- Measuring Cups/Spoons
- Toothpick for testing
This pound cake is a great make ahead sweet confection. Perfect for a late morning treat, served in the afternoon with tea, or after dinner dessert, its balance of sweet and savory flavors make it at home anytime.
Make sure that your lemon poppyseed loaf is stored in an airtight container. It will keep for up to five days.
Top Tip for Lemon Poppyseed Poundcake with Lavender
Don’t skip the step of massaging your sugar and lemon zest together. Citrus zest contains aromatic and flavorful oils. This step will release the oils into the sugar both flavoring it and perfuming it. Make sure that when you zest your citrus you are only removing the colored portion of the skin, not the white or pith. The white portion will make your dish bitter.
Also, always make sure that you zest your citrus first before cutting it in half and juicing it. Once that citrus is sliced it’s hard to zest.
Lemon Poppyseed Poundcake with Lavender
- 1 mixing bowl/mixer
- 1 Loaf Pan
Lemon Poppyseed Pound Cake with Lavender
- 2 cups 1.1 GF flour
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp Amoretti lavender extract
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a loaf pan and set it aside.
- Add the sugar and lemon zest to a bowl. Use your fingers to rub the lemon zest into the sugar, releasing the oils.
- Add the eggs, lemon juice, lavender extract, milk, and olive oil and mix to combine.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix to just combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread it out.
- Allow the pound cake to bake for 50-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- Add the ingredients for the glaze to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Pour the glaze over the top of the pound cake. Slice and enjoy!