You can take the girl out of Matlacha, but you can’t take the mangos of Pine Island away from the girl. This Gluten and Dairy Free Poppy Seed Mango Bundt Cake is a mashup of both tropical and traditional flavors.
Bundt cakes are one of my favorite desserts to bake. They’re instantly beautiful thanks to the decorate pans they bake in, and their light glazes make them ideal for any occasion, regardless of the time of day.
A Taste of the Tropics
This Gluten and Dairy Free Poppy Seed Mango Bundt Cake reminds me of Matlacha. We just moved from the tropical Florida waterside town. Nestled on Pine Island, the island boasts numerous mango farms and homes with trees heavy with ripe mangos.
What goes better with a burst of tropical mango than orange? While the traditional citrus combination with poppy seeds is lemon, the orange adds a sunny sweet flavor while still bringing that pop of tartness.
For this recipe you can use fresh mangos or frozen mangos. They get pureed, flavoring the first bite to the last bite of this moist and beautiful cake.
Poppy seeds add that irresistible little bite and pop. Also adding texture if you decide, coconut. I love sprinkling shaved coconut all over the orange glaze. Just imagine sinking your fork into that tender, moist cake, the happy flavors of orange and mango infused in every bite, perfuming the air. And then the little crunch of shaved coconut. I don’t know about you, but this cake practically makes me feel like I’m on vacation!
An Island State of Mind with Gluten and Dairy Free Poppy Seed Mango Bundt Cake
You don’t need to book a vacation to get a taste of the tropics with this easy cake. Just pick out your favorite bundt pan and let’s get baking!
- Puree your mangos. You will need 1 1/2 cups.
- Preheat your oven to 375. Spray a 10″ bundt pan with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
- Add your Dairy Free butter and sugar to a mixing bowl and mix on high for five minutes until it’s light, fluffy, and creamy.
- Add in the mango extract and puree, eggs, oat milk, orange juice and zest and mix until combined.
- Mix in your remaining ingredients until just combined. You don’t want to over mix your Gluten and Dairy Free Poppy Seed Mango Bundt Cake.
- Pour the batter into your prepared bundt pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- If your cake starts getting a little too dark while baking lightly cover it with foil for the last ten minutes of baking to prevent it from over browning.
- Allow it to cool completely before glazing it.
- To make your glaze simply mix all of the ingredients together. I love to garnish this tropical treat with coconut.
Are you looking for more bundt cake recipes? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten and Dairy Free Pistachio Mini Bundt Cakes. Now let’s get baking!
Gluten and Dairy Free Poppy Seed Mango Bundt Cake
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Mixer
- 1 10" bundt pan
Poppy Seed Mango Cake
- 1 1/2 cups mango, pureed
- 1 orange, juice and zested
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 3/4 cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp mango extract
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 1 cup Dairy Free butter, room temperature
- 4 eggs
- 3 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 orange, juiced and zested
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional, shredded coconut for garnish
Poppy Seed Mango Bundt Cake
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 10" bundt pan with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
- Add the room temperature butter and sugar to a bowl and mix on high for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, mango extract and puree, orange juice and zest, and oat milk. Mix until just combined.
- Add in your remaining ingredients and mix to just combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- If the cake starts to get too brown lightly cover with foil for the last 10 minutes of baking.
- Let sit for a couple of minutes before turning the cake out onto a cooling rack.
- Allow to cool completely before glazing.
- To make your glaze mix all of the ingredients together until smooth.
- Pour over your cooled cake.
- Garnish with coconut if desired.