Sometimes you just need a little sugar and spice, and all things nice. These Gluten Free Spiced Cookies with Almond Chocolate are like a warm, chewy hug for the soul.
Living in Florida, we sometimes have to make our own fall. The only autumn leaves are palm fronds falling from an occasional thunderstorm, and instead of Uggs it's all about a favorite pair of sandals. It might not feel like fall, but these Gluten Free Spiced Cookies with Almond Chocolate pack all of that fall flavor.
Spicing it Up
These chewy cookies pack all the warm flavor with a quadruple combination of spices. Allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger all bring their own unique levels of warmth and aromatic zest.
Molasses and honey add depth besides sweetness. The combination makes for an almost caramel like bite and adds to the chew of these spiced cookies.
The spiced batter on its own makes for a decadent and dreamy cookie, but these cookies are taken over the top with generous chunks of Valrhona Chocolate Almond Inspiration. Almond Inspiration has the luxurious texture of chocolate but with the intense nutty flavor of almonds. Composed of ground almonds and cocoa butter, these chocolates bring a unique flavor and bite to these cookies.
Baking Gluten Free Spiced Cookies with Almond Chocolate
These cookies couldn't be easier. Using basic baking ingredients and spices you will be making these all fall season long. They're perfect for an afternoon treat, gift giving, or having on the table for a football party. They're even better fresh off the cooling wrack, just because.
To begin with, you want to make sure your Dairy Free butter is at room temperature. This will allow the dough to be mixed together easily without the risk of overmixing.
Second, let's talk spices. You should always check the date of your spices to ensure you're using them when they have their maximum flavor. These are Gluten Free Spiced Cookies with Almond Chocolate after all. As spices get older their loose their potency.
Next, once you have mixed your dough, allow it to chill in the fridge. You can bake it directly after mixing it but they will spread more quickly and be a little thinner. Resting the dough also allows the spices time to marry and develop.
When you go to bake them, don't over crowd the sheet pan. You want these generous cookies to have room to properly spread out.
Are you looking for more cookie recipes? Make sure you check out my recipe for the Ultimate Gluten Free Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies. Now let's get baking!
Gluten Free Spiced Cookies with Almond Chocolate
- Mixing Bowl
- Cookie Sheet
- ice cream scoop
- 1 cup Dairy Free butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ tsp allspice
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ginger
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 ½ cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 1 ½ cups almond flavored chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add the sugars and butter. Mix for 3 minutes until it is light and fluffy and lighter in color.
- Mix in the egg, vanilla, molasses, and honey.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Allow to chill for 3 hours for the flavors to marry. If you do not have time these can be baked right away.
- Using an ice cream scoop portion out equal sized portions. Place them on the cookie sheet 3" apart. These cookies will spread.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Place on a cooling wrack and allow to cool.