What's your favorite flavor of fall? Do you wait in anticipation for the first PSL? Do you crave that first sip of apple cider or bite of an apple fritter? I love when I start seeing an abundance of pears. These Gluten Free Spice Poached Pears with Balsamic Berry Sauce are sure to become a new fall tradition.
Warm, aromatic, and just lightly sweet, this elegant dessert is perfect for a date night at home. With a citrus infused poaching liquid awash in warm spices, every bite bursts with fresh flavor.
The Spice of Life
The heart of Gluten Free Spice Poached Pears with Balsamic Berry Sauce starts with the poaching liquid. Strips of both orange and lemon add a sense of brightness. Orange juice provides that sunny sweet burst of flavor that pairs with both the pears as well as the berries.
Adding a savory note and its own unique depth of sweetness is a balsamic reduction. For this recipe I used a fig flavored balsamic reduction. As the balsamic reduces its natural sweetness intensifies while also becoming more viscous.
I did promise spices though. Part of the magic of this dessert is the way it perfumes your entire house. A whole cinnamon stick adds that unmistakable warm spice. Perfect for the longer cook of poaching it seeps into every bite of the pear.
In addition to the cinnamon stick I also add just a pinch of saffron. Not only does this lend a unique and distinct floral note, it also adds to the beautiful jewel tone of the pears.
Getting Spicy with Gluten Free Spice Poached Pears with Balsamic Berry Sauce
While these elegant and refined pears look complicated, if you can boil a bowl of water, you can make these. I am going to walk you step by step through the process.
- Pick pears that aren't over ripe. You want them to be a little firm to the touch.
- Add all of your ingredients for the aromatic poaching liquid to a pot large enough to accommodate two pears. Bring it to a low boil before adding your pears.
- Allow the pears to simmer for 40 minutes or until tender. You want to turn them every 10 minutes so they can cook evenly.
- Once the pears are tender, remove them and add a cup each of chopped strawberries and blackberries to the poaching liquid. Turn up the heat and cook them until the sauce is reduced and thickened.
- I like to serve these Gluten Free Spice Poached Pears with Balsamic Berry Sauce with a sprinkle of toasted coconut and Dairy Free ice cream, but serve them with your favorite toppings!
Are you looking for more easy and elegant dessert recipes? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Pear Spice Bread with Walnuts. Now let's get cooking!
Gluten Free Spice Poached Pears with Balsamic Berry Sauce
- Stock Pot
- 2 pears, peeled
- 2 cups water
- 1 orange peel
- 1 lemon peel
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp balsamic reduction I used a fig infused balsamic reduction
- 1 cinnamon stick
- pinch of saffron
- 1 cup blackberries, chopped
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped
- Dairy Free ice cream and toasted coconut for serving
- Add the water, lemon and orange peels, orange juice, sugar, balsamic, and cinnamon stick, and saffron to a stock pot on medium low. Bring to a low boil.
- Add the pears and cover. Cook for 40 minutes or until fork tender. Turn every 10 minutes. Set aside.
- To the poaching liquid add the berries. Increase heat to high. Allow to cook for 10 minutes until thickened and reduced.
- To serve, plate pears with a drizzle of the berry sauce, toasted coconut, and Dairy Free ice cream.
Leave a Reply