When it comes to sweet treats, there's just something about poundcake that seems like it's perfect any time of day. Whether is on the brunch table, or a slice next to your afternoon tea, it's always at home. This Gluten Free Lemon Blueberry Poundcake with Meringue takes the cozy poundcake and gives it a little taste of the exotic.
There's something about the combination of lemon and blueberries that just tastes and feels like summer. The sweet, yet tart combination is like a burst of sunshine. Slice into this cake, and it's guaranteed to bring a little sunshine and happiness into your day.
When Life Gives You Lemons...
I love this Gluten Free Lemon Blueberry Poundcake with Meringue because it doesn't hold back on the pucker power. There's no denying lemon is one of the main ingredients bringing its burst of bright flavor to every bite.
This moist and tender confection is all about balance. The joyous burst of sunny bright lemon is complimented by the sweet blueberries. Adding texture and its own natural sweetness is coconut.
The crowning glory of this sweet treat is Yuzu Swiss meringue. Swiss meringue is combined with Valrhona Yuzu Inspiration chocolate. This naturally Dairy Free chocolate is preservative free. It's also free of artificial flavors. As soon as you bite into the fluffy cloud, you will taste the floral bite of citrus from the yuzu.
When it comes to building your flavors for this poundcake, fresh is best! There is no substitute for the clean, bright flavor of fresh squeezed lemon juice. The same goes for the blueberries. There is nothing like the sweetness of ripe blueberries.
Easy Gluten Free Lemon Blueberry Poundcake with Meringue
Poundcake is one of the easiest desserts to make. With simple ingredients and a little mixing, you will be slicing into this happy treat.
- Pregame! Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
- Make sure your Dairy Free butter is at room temperature. Mix it with the sugar and lemon zest for five minutes.
- Mix in your eggs, lemon juice, vanilla, and Dairy Free sour cream.
- Add in all of your dry ingredients except for the blueberries. Mix until they're just combined. Fold in the blueberries.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 75-90 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- To make your Yuzu Swiss Meringue, whisk the egg whites and sugar for five minutes in a glass bowl.
- Create a double boiler. Bring a pot of water to a simmer over medium-low heat. Don't over fill the pot. You don't want the water to ever touch the bottom of the glass bowl, just create steam.
- Place the glass bowl over the top the simmering pot. Whisk continuously for 5-8 minutes until the egg whites are foamy and the temperature is 160.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and beat on high for 10 minutes until it is thick, creamy, and luscious and holds its shape. This is called stiff peaks.
- Fold in the melted yuzu chocolate. I like to melt it gently in a double boiler.
- Spread the frosting on top of your Gluten Free Lemon Blueberry Poundcake with Meringue. You can use a kitchen torch to lightly torch it if you like.
- Slice, and enjoy this taste of happiness!
When you create a double boiler, it allows you to cook or melt something at a gentle heat without worry of over cooking it. This is useful for making custards, meringues, melting chocolate, etc. The best part is you don’t need any special tools.
Armed with a pot of simmering water and a glass bowl, you can easily create a double boiler at home. The key is to make sure the water never touches the bottom of the bowl. You want the steam created from the seal to do all of the work.
Are you looking for more ideas to use the yuzu chocolate? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Champagne Cake with Yuzu Swiss Meringue. Now let's get baking!
Gluten Free Lemon Blueberry Poundcake with Meringue
- Mixing Bowl
- 9x5 loaf pan
- Double boiler
Lemon Blueberry Poundcake
- 2 cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup Dairy Free butter, room temperature
- ½ cup Dairy Free sour cream
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup blueberries
Yuzu Swiss Meringue
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup Yuzu flavored chocolate
Lemon Blueberry Poundcake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with nonstick baking spray. Set aside.
- Add your room temperature butter and sugar to a mixing bowl and mix on high for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the vanilla, sour cream, lemon juice, and eggs.
- Add all of the dry ingredients except for the blueberries and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Spread into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 75-90 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Yuzu Swiss Meringue
- Create a double boiler. Heat a pot of water over medium-low and bring to a simmer. Don't fill the water too high. It should never touch the bottom of the glass bowl.
- Add the egg whites and sugar to a glass bowl and whisk continually for 4 minutes.
- Transfer the bowl to the simmering pot and fit over the top, ensuring the water doesn't touch. Continue to whisk for 4-8 minutes until the mixture is light and frothy. It should read 160 degrees on an instant read thermometer.
- Pour the egg mixture into a waiting mixing bowl and beat on high for 10 minutes until it's thick, creamy, and holds its shape. This is called stiff peaks.
- Using the same simmering water, melt the yuzu chocolate gently in a glass bowl, using the double boiler method. Stir until completely melted.
- Fold the melted chocolate into the Swiss meringue.
- Spread on top of the cooled pound cake. You can use a kitchen torch if desired to toast the frosting.