There is something undeniably comforting and nostalgic about the aroma of gingerbread cookies baking in the oven. They perfume the entire house and beckon everyone to the kitchen like the Pied Piper playing his song. In the case of these gluten free gingerbread cookies, the combination of warm spices plays an enticing siren’s song luring you with the sweet fragrance of ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
Add spice to your life with these Gluten Free Gingerbread Cookies
Are you team chewy, or team crunchy? The gluten free gingerbread cookies are as easy as they are versatile. Bake them on the lower end of the suggested time and you will bite into a chewier cookie. If you live for the crunch, baking them a little longer will give you that perfect crispy bite.
Tips for the Cookie Jar
While these cookies are easy to make and deliciously delectable to down, there are tips that will make them even better.
Know your spices. If that jar of cinnamon has called your spice cabinet home for the past five years, toss it out. Fresh, quality spices make all of the difference in both smell and taste.
Chilling your dough is essential for the best results. This not only helps the flavors meld and intensify but also firms up the dough, making it easier to work with. Additionally, chilled dough retains its shape while baking. When time permits, chill your dough for at least one hour prior to scooping to bake.
Always bake your cookies on either a silicone mat or parchment paper lined cookie sheet. This ensures your cookies won’t stick.
Allowing you cookies to cool on a wire rack ensures the cookies to cool evenly and prevents them from over baking on the hot cookie sheet. The wire rack is an effective way to make sure your cookies have the right texture and taste.
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cookies
- Mixing Bowl
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment paper
- 2 eggs large
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter dairy free
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups 1.1 gluten free flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup white sugar, to roll the cookies in
- In a mixing bowl combine white and brown sugar and butter. Beat on medium-low until completely smooth and fluffy.
- Add your molasses, vanilla, and eggs, and beat on low speed until just combined.
- Add all of your dry ingredients and mix until fully combined on low speed.
- Cover bowl in plastic wrap and allow dough to cool in the refrigerator 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out equal portions and roll in the sugar. Place on the cookie sheet and space them out 2”-3” apart.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 8-12 minutes until golden brown. They will have more chew closer to the 8 minute mark and a crunchier bite at the 12 minute mark.
- Allow to cool for a couple of minutes on the cookie sheet and then move them to a cooling rack.