It can't be the holidays without a little sugar, spice, and everything nice. Just like the Tea dance in the Nutcracker, these Gluten Free Chai Tea Ginger-Date Linzer Cookies are a holiday classic.
Linzer cookies are such a Christmas classic. Usually dressed in the crimson of raspberries, these are an updated and elegant version with a twist.
The Scent of the Season
'Tis the season of warm aromatic spices. There's something about winter that seems synonymous with heady spices perfuming the air. These Gluten Free Chai Tea Ginger Date Linzer Cookies combine the cornucopia of seasonings found in chai tea with allspice and cinnamon.
I can't think of anything more comforting than chai tea. Slightly spicy with notes of black peppercorn, a little floral with cardamon, and completely warming with cinnamon, cloves, and ginger, it truly is a full sensory experience.
For this recipe I am using Amoretti Chai Tea Extract. This extract is naturally flavored, highly concentrated, and preservative free. It infuses that exotic flavor into every bite of these buttery shortbread cookies.
In addition to using Amoretti Chai Tea Extract in the cookies, I am using Amoretti Ginger Syrup in the filling. The filling combines pitted dates, the ginger syrup, or freshly grated ginger, and hot water to create a sweet, sticky, filling with those hints of spice.
I love serving these cookies with a cup of tea or coffee. They're the perfect afternoon pick me up, but also an elegant evening treat. In addition they're so pretty and festive they also make a gorgeous, personal gift.
The Spice of Life with Gluten Free Chai Tea Ginger-Date Linzer Cookies
These pretty and charming cookies require a couple of steps, however they are as easy as they are impressive.
- Make sure your Dairy Free butter is room temperature. This will allow the dough to mix easily and be smooth. Mix your butter and sugar together on high for three minutes. It will be slightly lighter and fluffy. This is called creaming.
- Mix in the eggs and extract, and then mix in your remaining ingredients. You want to mix the dry ingredients until they are just combined. This will keep the cookies tender.
- Roll your dough in plastic wrap and allow to refrigerate for at least two hours. Cold dough rolls out easier without being as sticky.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. This makes two trays.
- Roll out your chilled dough to about ⅛" thick. Using linzer cookie cutters cut out your dough.
- Bake your cookies for 15-17 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned and golden. Allow to cool completely before filling.
- To make your filling for your Gluten Free Chai Tea Ginger-Date Linzer Cookies add all of your ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add approximately ½ teaspoon of filling to each cookie bottom and sandwich with the top. Dust with powdered sugar.
Are you looking for more festive cookie recipes? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten and Dairy Free Frosted Eggnog Cookies. Now let's get baking!
Gluten and Dairy Free Chai Tea Ginger-Date Linzer Cookies
- Mixing Bowl
- 2 baking sheets
- Parchment paper
- Linzer cookie cutters
Chai Tea Linzer Cookies
- ¾ cup Dairy Free butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Chai Tea Extract
- 2 cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- pinch of allspice
- 1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- ⅓ cup boiling water
- 1 ½ tsp ginger syrup may substitute with ½ tsp fresh grated ginger
- Powdered sugar for serving
Chai Tea Linzer Cookies
- Add the butter and sugar to a bowl and mix on high for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg and extract and mix to combine.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and mix until just combined. Don't over mix.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and allow to refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out cookie dough to about ⅛" thick. Using linzer cookie cutters cut out cookies.
- Place on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 15-17 minutes until the edges are lightly browned. Allow to cool completely.
Ginger Date Filling
- Add the dates, hot water, and ginger syrup to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add ½ tsp of ginger-date jam to each cookie bottom and top with another cookie to create a sandwich.
- Dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!