What is your favorite sweet and savory combination? There is something irresistible about the converging of the salty and sweet and anytime bacon is involved you know it’s going to be good. These Gluten Free Bacon Sweet Potato Sticky Buns will satisfy both sides.
Let’s be honest, bacon really does make everything better. There’s something magical about every aspect of bacon. As soon as it starts sizzling away, it’s like the Pied Piper’s call, beckoning you to the kitchen. In this recipe the smoky and salty bite of bacon is the perfect balance to the sticky and sweet date syrup and brown sugar caramel.
The Ultimate Morning Treat
Some smells instantly get get you up and out of bed. The aroma of coffee brewing. The way something sweet permeates the entire house as it bakes away in the oven. These Gluten Free Bacon Sweet Potato Sticky Buns are sure to work their magic.
There are three parts to these delectable rolls, the dough itself, the filling, and the sticky crunchy topping.
Let’s begin with the dough itself. Mashed sweet potatoes are going to add both a unique and natural sweetness while also providing moisture. The sweet potatoes are accented with a hint of honey.
Next is the filling. Offering both texture and another layer of flavor, this mixture has it all. And by all, I mean bourbon. Because let’s be real, bourbon and bacon belong together. Raisins also join the party for that chew and bite of sweet.
The last part that makes up these incredible rolls is the topping. The deep caramel flavor of date syrup is joined by brown sugar, crunchy butter pecans, and finally that bacon. I did promise bacon.
For the date syrup I am using D’vash Organics. Date syrup not only tastes amazing it contains minerals, potassium, and antioxidants. It also contains 25% less sugar than honey and almost all other natural sweeteners.
Gluten Free Bacon Sweet Potato Stick Buns, Rise Up!
Despite there being three components to these rolls, they’re easy to make. You just have to break down the steps.
The key to the texture of these biscuits, along with the sweet potatoes, is the yeast. There are two components yeast needs. Something to feed on, in this case sugar, and a warm environment to come to life, like warm water. You’re simply going to add the ingredients to a bowl, give it a mix, And walk away. Let it do it’s thing for 5 minutes. You will see it gets frothy and develops bubbles.
Another tip of for the dough is the mixing. I recommend using your mixer with a dough hook. Because there are so many variables that you may need to add an additional half a cup of flour. If it seems to sticky go ahead and add it in.
Just like you let the yeast hang out, you’re going to have to let the dough hang out. Pick a dry warm place and cover it with a towel. In 1-2 hours it should rise by 1/3.
After you roll your dough out and fill it with that incredible filling, you’re going to cut your Gluten Free Bacon Sweet Potato Sticky Buns out and let them rest. This will give them another chance to rise and become fluffy.
When you’re ready to bake them lightly cover them with foil to prevent the top from browning too quickly. You’re going to uncover them halfway though.
The last part is flipping them. Because the date syrup and brown sugar create the “sticky” in Gluten Free Bacon Sweet Potato Sticky Buns you’ll want to flip these over as soon as it comes out of the oven.
It’s that easy! Love to bake? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Lemon Thyme Pound Cake.
- mixer with dough hook
- Mixing Bowl
- cast iron skillet or casserole dish
Sweet Potato Dough
- 6 tbsp Dairy Free butter, melted
- 3/4 cup oat milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water, warm
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 pkg instant active yeast
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 3 1/2 cups Gluten Free flour, plus an additional 1/2 cup
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 tbsp bourbon
- 10 tbso Dairy Free butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup date syrup
- 1 pkg bacon, cooked and chopped
Sweet Potato Dough
- in a mixing bowl combine warm water, yeast, honey, and half of the sugar. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes. It should become a little foamy and frothy.
- In a separate bowl add the melted butter, the remaining sugar, salt, and oat milk and stir. Add the sweet potatoes and eggs and stir and then add your yeast mixture.
- Add the 3 1/2 cups of flour and using your dough hook mix on medium/low. Once it's completely mixed if the dough still seems sticky add the additional 1/2 cup of flour.
- Spray another bowl with nonstick spray and place the dough into the bowl.
- Cover with a towel and place in a warm place for 1-2 hours. It should rise by about 1/3.
- Lightly flour your work surface and roll out out the dough to 10"-12".
- Mix all of the filling ingredients together and spread over the rolled out dough, leaving a 1" boarder.
- Roll tightly, making sure to press the seems. Slice into 6 or 8 rolls depending how thick you want them.
Bacon Sweet Potato Sticky Buns
- Spray a cast iron skillet or casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add pecans, date syrup, and brown sugar to the bottom of the pan.
- Place the rolls on top. Cover with a towel and allow to rise another hours.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly cover pan with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 25 more minutes.
- Loosen the sides of the rolls with a knife and then flip onto a place. Top with chopped bacon. Enjoy!