What is your favorite combination of sweet and savory? This composed dessert balances the two worlds for the ultimate bite. Gluten Free Lemon Thyme Pound Cake is topped with a cloud of honey whipped ricotta. Caramelized nectarines take this over the top.
This dessert captures both the taste and feel of summer. Bursting with sunny citrus and lemony thyme and crowned with sweet nectarines. Because it’s a composed dessert it’s perfect for making ahead.
A Trifecta of Flavor
There are three elements to this beautiful dessert. The first is Gluten Free lemon thyme pound cake. Because the caramelized nectarines are so sweet the pound cake is less sweet for that balance.
For the next layer honey whipped ricotta is added. I am using dairy free ricotta making this sweet treat also Dairy Free. Just stir together dairy free ricotta and your favorite honey until light, fluffy, and airy.
The last component of this dish are the caramelized nectarines. Thyme is also added to the nectarines giving them a savory note that also echoes the flavors in the pound cake. I used a brown sugar substitute in these but feel free to use regular brown sugar. They cook quickly. You want them syrupy and a little caramelized.
Gluten Free Lemon Thyme Pound Cake, Steps to Success
Pound cakes are one of the easiest cakes to make. Their denser texture and easy measurements make them perfect for beginner bakers to those who are advanced. However I am going to share some tips to set you up for success!
First, let’s start with the ingredients themselves. Take your eggs and Dairy Free butter out ahead of time and allow them to come to room temperature. The butter will mix more smoothly, and the eggs won’t cause the butter to cease up.
Second, don’t over mix! You are going to cream your butter and sugars together first before adding your eggs and Dairy Free Greek yogurt. When you go to add your flour, mix until just combined. This will give you that tender bite everyone craves in cakes.
Last, once baked allow the cake to cool completely before slicing. This will ensure that each slice is pretty and has the perfect texture.
Love to bake? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Raspberry Cake with Chocolate Buttercream.
Craving that bite of Gluten Free Lemon Thyme Pound Cake? Let’s get baking!
Gluten Free Lemon Thyme Pound Cake
- Mixing Bowl
- Loaf Pan
- Sauté pan
Lemon Thyme Pound Cake
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 12 tbsp Dairy Free butter, room temperature
- 3 tbsp Dairy Free Greek yogurt
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups 1.1 Gluten Free flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
Honey Whipped Ricotta
- 8 oz Dairy Free ricotta
- 1 tsp honey
- 3 nectarines, cubed
- 2 tbsp Dairy Free butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (can use sugar substitute)
- 3 sprigs, fresh thyme
Lemon-Thyme Pound Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray the loaf pan with nonstick baking spray.
- In a mixing bowl add the butter and sugars. Mix for 5 minutes until butter is lightened in color and the mixture is fluffy and creamy.
- Add the eggs and almond extract. Mix to combine.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour into the loaf pan and bake for 60 minutes, or until the top is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to completely cool.
Honey Whipped Ricotta
- Combine the honey and ricotta into a bowl and stir until fluffy and completely incorporated.
- Add all of the ingredients to a skillet over medium heat. Sauté for 5-7 minutes until the sugar has dissolved, the nectarines begin to caramelize, and they're a little syrupy.
- To assemble, add a slice of the lemon-thyme pound cake to a plate. Top with the whipped ricotta, and the caramelized nectarines. Enjoy!