Hi! My name is Danielle! And I love s'mores! It's no secret that I have a slight obsession. I go to bed dreaming of them and wake up inspired with new inventions and twists on this classic creation. Gluten Free and Dairy Free Torched S'mores Pie give you all of the flavor of the ultimate campfire treat.
There's just something magic that happens when graham crackers, chocolate, and molten fired marshmallows are combined. In the equation of food, the sum of these parts equals the perfect balance of flavors.
Playing With Fire
One of the many reasons I love all things s'mores is the texture. Gluten Free and Dairy Free Torched S'mores Pie checks all of the boxes on crispy, gooey, creamy, and that perfect amount of sticky.
All great pies start with the crust. You can't have s'mores without graham crackers, and this crust combines your favorite Gluten Free graham crackers with Dairy Free melted butter. It doesn't get any easier or more classic than that.
When it comes to the chocolate layer, it's a choose your own adventure. You can keep it simple and easy by making your favorite chocolate pudding with Dairy Free milk. You can also make my dreamy, creamy irresistible Dairy Free chocolate pastry cream.
This pastry cream is rich and decadent. Infused with two forms of chocolate, both cocoa powder and Dairy Free dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate, it will have you stealing bites from the bowl before it even makes it to the crust.
Get out your kitchen torch, and let's play with some fire! You can't have s'mores without singed marshmallows. A kitchen torch makes for the perfect way to achieve that campfire effect in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Layers of Flavor with Gluten Free and Dairy Free Torched S'mores Pie
This gorgeous and decadent pie comes together in just three easy steps, crust, filling, and marshmallows. Let's have some fun!
- In crust we trust! Add your Gluten Free graham crackers to a food processor to create a fine, sandy crumb.
- Pour the graham cracker crumbs into your pie dish and drizzle the Dairy Free melted butter over the top. Mix and press the crust into the pan. You can use the bottom of a measuring cup for this if you like.
- Pick your chocolatey goodness. You can either prepare an instant chocolate pudding mix, or make chocolate pastry cream. If you're using a chocolate pudding mix with Dairy Free milk make sure to beat it on high to help it set.
- If you make the chocolate pastry cream for your Gluten Free and Dairy Free Torched S'mores Pie, add the oat milk and vanilla to a pot over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar, salt, and cornstarch.
- Reduce the boiling milk to low.
- Add a ladle full of the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture while continually whisking. Add another ladle full of the hot milk and whisk to combine. This is called tempering.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pot of hot milk and continually stir until it thickens.
- Add both chocolates to a glass bowl and pour the pastry cream over the top, stirring to combine and melt the chocolate.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator. Allow to chill completely before adding to your crust.
- Spread the chocolate pudding or the chocolate pastry cream into your prepared crust.
- Top with marshmallows. Have fun torching them!
Are you looking for more s'mores inspiration? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Decadent S'mores French Toast. Now let's get baking!
Gluten Free and Dairy Free Torched S'mores Pie
- 1 Food Processor
- 1 9" pie dish
- 1 Sauce pan
- 1 kitchen torch
- 2 ½ cups Gluten Free graham crackers, ground to a fine crumb
- 1 instant chocolate pudding made to package directions or 1 recipe for Dairy Free chocolate pastry cream
- 8 tbsp Dairy Free butter, melted
- 2 cups marshmallows
Dairy Free Chocolate Pastry Cream
- 2 cups oat milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup Dairy Free dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- Add the graham cracker crumbs to your pie dish.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the crumbs. Mix and press down to spread them out. You can use the bottom of a measuring cup for this.
- Spread the chocolate pudding or chocolate pastry cream into the crust.
- Top with the marshmallows.
- Use a kitchen torch to lightly torch them.
Dairy Free Chocolate Pastry Cream
- Add the milk and vanilla paste to a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
- Add the egg yolks, eggs, cornstarch, sugar, and salt to a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Once the milk is boiling, reduce the heat to low.
- Add a ladle of the hot milk to the egg mixture, whisking the entire time.
- Add another ladle and whisk to combine.
- Pour the warmed egg mixture into the saucepan and continually stir until the mixture thickens. It will hug the back of your spoon.
- Add both types of chocolate to a glass bowl.
- Pour the hot pastry cream over the chocolate and stir continually until melted and combined.
- Cover and allow to chill completely before using for your pie.