I love tres leches cakes. I can still remember the first time I took a bite of that soft, moist, creamy cake. This Gluten and Dairy Free Mixed Berry Tres Leches Cake is a new twist on one of my favorite treats.
It might be cold outside but this colorful and fresh dessert will have you feeling like summer. Three types of berries bring color, texture, and that perfect balance of sweet tang.
One of the things I love the most about tres leches cake is that it just gets better the longer it sits. This Gluten and Dairy Free Mixed Berry Tres Leches Cake is the perfect make ahead dessert.
Part of what makes this tres leches cake Dairy Free also gives it incredible flavor. This recipe combines evaporated coconut milk, coconut cream, and condensed sweetened coconut milk. This trifecta infuses every bite in both rich and decadent flavor while giving it that distinct soft texture.
The heart of this cake starts with a Gluten Free yellow cake. Skip the cake mix, this comes together just as easily with fresh ingredients. Adding a little zing and sunny sass is orange zest. This not only compliments the berries, it also echoes the fresh orange juice in the triple berry jam.
Growing up, my family had a little bit of property. There were blackberry bushes everywhere. My mom used to make everything with blackberries, from jams to pies. I loved going out to pick bushels of berries, knowing they would wind up in one of her incredible creations.
Every since then I have been obsessed with all things berry. This take on tres leches cake combines my childhood favorite blackberries along with strawberries and blueberries. They are allowed to simmer together until they soften and thicken into a fresh jeweled jam.
The Scoop on Gluten and Dairy Free Mixed Berry Tres Leches Cake
With just three simple components, this beautiful and delicious dessert comes together easily. The yellow cake is combined with a quick fresh berry jam before the entire cake is allowed to luxuriate in the combination of three coconut milks.
- Pregame! Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
- Add your sugar, Dairy Free butter, and orange zest to a bowl and mix on high for five minutes. This is called creaming and will result in a light, fluffy texture. Make sure your butter is at room temperature to make this easy.
- Mix in your eggs and vanilla and then mix in your Dairy Free sour cream. The sour cream will give this cake a little tang while also keeping it moist. Mix in your remaining ingredients, making sure to mix until just combined.
- Bake your cake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow it to cool completely.
- While your cake is cooling make your jam. Add all of the ingredients to a stockpot and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes until thickened. Also let this cool completely.
- To build your Gluten and Dairy Free Mixed Berry Tres Leches Cake, combine the three different types of milk.
- Cut your cake in half and place the bottom half back into the baking dish. Use a fork to poke holes all throughout the cake. This will allow the combination of milks to absorb. Pour half of the milk mixture over the cake.
- Ladle the triple berry jam over the cake, swirling it slightly.
- Place the top half of the cake over the berry mixture. Repeat the process of poking holes with a fork, and then pour the remaining milk mixture over the top. Cover and allow to refrigerate for at least six hours.
- To serve, top with your favorite Dairy Free whipped topping or whipped coconut cream. Garnish with a combination of fresh blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries.
Are you looking for more berry inspired treats? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Lemon Blueberry Poundcake with Meringue. Now let's get baking!
Gluten and Dairy Free Mixed Berry Tres Leches Cake
- Mixing Bowl
- 9x13 baking dish
Gluten Free Yellow Cake
- 2 ¼ cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 3 eggs large
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 cup Dairy Free butter, room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup Dairy Free sour cream
- 1 tbsp orange zest
Triple Berry Jam
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- ⅓ cup blueberries
- ¼ cup blackberries
- 1 orange, juiced
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 14 oz sweetened condensed Dairy Free milk, I used coconut
- 12 oz evaporated coconut milk
- 14 oz coconut cream
Gluten Free Yellow Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
- Add the sugar, butter, and orange zest to a bowl and mix on high for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla. Mix in the sour cream.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour cake batter into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool.
Triple Berry Jam
- Add all of the ingredients to a stockpot on medium-low heat.
- Cook for 20 minutes until the berries are soft and the sauce has thickened.
- Allow to cool.
Tres Leches Cake
- Mix the three milks together in a bowl.
- Cut the cake in half and place the bottom half back into the baking dish.
- Use a fork to poke holes all over the cake,
- Pour half of the milk mixture over the bottom cake.
- Ladle the fresh berry jam over the cake. Use the bottom of the ladle to swirl it slightly.
- Place the top half of the cake over the berry jam. Repeat the process with using a fork to poke holes over the cake.
- Pour the remaining milk mixture over the top.
- Cover and allow to refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
- To serve, top with Dairy Free whipped cream and fresh berries.
Leave a Reply