Who doesn't love a quick and hearty weeknight meal? With the holiday season in full swing it's nice to have recipes that will have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes. Gluten and Dairy Free Homemade Hamburger Helper is the comfort food classic the entire family will love.
Rich, meaty, and hearty, this quick cooking one pot meal is the ultimate comfort food. Just add The Ultimate Apple Pie Cookies for dessert and you'll have the perfect nostalgic meal.
Skip the processed food and make your own Gluten and Dairy Free Homemade Hamburger Helper. Not only can you control all of the ingredients, but most of them you probably already have.
- Ground Beef - You can use your favorite for this recipe, from 80/20 ground chuck to lean ground beef.
- Onion - Adds both a savory note and slight sweetness to every bite.
- Salt - Enhances all of the flavors of the ingredients.
- Pepper - Adds an earthy hint of spice that doesn't overpower.
- Red Pepper - Just a pinch gives a small back note of heat. Add a little more if you like it spicy.
- Chili Powder - Adds depth and warmth without adding heat.
- Garlic Powder - Adds a bright, sharp, savory pop of flavor.
- Onion Powder - Accents the fresh onions while adding savory depth.
- Ground Mustard - Adds a tangy, sharp burst of flavor.
- Gluten Free Pasta - Elbow is the classic shape and nostalgic classic. Use your favorite variety.
- Beef Broth - Helps create the savory sauce and also the liquid used to cook the pasta.
- Dairy Free Cheddar - Added at the end, it gives a creamy, savory finish to the dish. Cheese really does make everything better!
- Tomato Paste - Adds sweetness and richness to the sauce.
How to Make Gluten and Dairy Free Homemade Hamburger Helper
Skip all of this dishes! This easy one pot meal not only will have the family flocking to the dinner table, but it also comes together in only 30 minutes.
Time needed: 30 minutes.
All you need is one pot and thirty minutes for this easy and delicious comfort food classic.
Heat a large pot over medium heat and add your ground beef. Allow it to cook, breaking up with a spoon. When it is partially cooked add your onion.
Once your ground beef is cooked add all of your seasonings and the tomato paste. Stir to combine.
Stir in your beef broth and pasta. Cover it and turn your heat to low. Let it cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Finishing Touch
Once the pasta is cooked, remove from the heat and stir in your cheese. Enjoy!
This recipe is made with Gluten Free pasta and Dairy Free cheese. However, you can use your favorite pasta and cheese in this recipe making it with gluten or full dairy.
While ground beef is the classic meat for this recipe, you can also make it with ground turkey or ground chicken. If using ground poultry, you may want to substitute the beef broth with chicken broth.
For this recipe I used Legend Cookware. Their high-performance, high-value cookware is made to last a lifetime. They use time tested materials while designing for the modern cook. Their cookware is designed to be used everyday, not just sit there. They make everything from heirloom quality copper core cookware to hard anodized and stainless steal cookware.
Top Tip for Gluten and Dairy Free Homemade Hamburger Helper
When it comes to using spices, always check the dates. Spices are their most flavorful when they are fresh. If you don't remember the last time you reached for the dried mustard or that same bottle of garlic powder has been in your spice cabinet for years, it's time to replace them.
Gluten and Dairy Free Homemade Hamburger Help
- 1 large pot
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 ¼ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- 2 cups Gluten Free pasta, such as elbow
- 3 ½ cups beef broth
- 2 ½ cups Dairy Free cheddar cheese
- Heat a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the ground beef. Use your spoon to break it up.
- Once the ground beef is partially cooked add the onion.
- Continue to break up the ground beef until it is cooked all the way through.
- Add all of your seasonings and tomato paste. Stir to combine.
- Add the pasta and beef broth. Stir to combine.
- Turn the heat to low and cover.
- Stir occasionally. Allow the hamburger helper to cook for 20 minutes or until the pasta is cooked.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese.