I don't know about you but I could make an entire meal out of appetizers. Gluten and Dairy Free Fried Macaroni and Cheese Bites are one of my favorites recreated so everyone can enjoy them.
Nothing says happy hour like warm, molten yet crispy mac and cheese. These irresistible poppable treats are fun and delicious!
Crispy, Crunchy, Gooey
Gluten and Dairy Free Fried Macaroni and Cheese Bites are just as much about the texture as they are the savory flavors. These two bite treats are a fun appetizer to serve to your friends and family, including those who aren't Gluten Free and Dairy Free.
I don't know if these really count as Meatless Monday or not, but when I told my husband I was making these, he was all in. As soon as we tried the first ones, like magic this plate disappeared.
When it comes to making Gluten Free and Dairy Free recipes, I always work to ensure both the flavors and textures will make all of my friends happy, not just those living Gluten Free and/or Dairy Free. These Gluten and Dairy Free Fried Macaroni and Cheese Bites are one of my favorites!
Macaroni and cheese is already one of those ultimate comfort foods. When you take that and turn it into something fun and bite sized, you have the makings for one fun and delicious bite!
These mac and cheese bites are all about that savory cheese sauce and delicate crisp bite of crust. One of my favorite parts of this recipe is that the mac and cheese can be made well in advance. You want it perfectly chilled when you cut out your bites. Feel free to make it a day or two in advance!
I love serving these on a bed of marinara. You can either use your favorite recipe, or make it easy and use your favorite store bought brand.
It's Easy to be Cheesy with Gluten and Dairy Free Fried Macaroni and Cheese Bites
In just two easy steps you will be on your way to creating your new favorite appetizer. Just be warned, these disappear fast!
- Cook your Gluten Free elbow pasta according to the package directions. Drain.
- Because we're using Dairy Free cream cheese in this recipe there is no need to make a roux. Just throw everything in a pot with the exception of your cooked pasta. Keep stirring until everything is melted and incorporated.
- Add your pasta to the sauce, stirring to combine.
- Pour the mac and cheese mixture into a 9x11 baking dish. Cover it and allow it to cool completely. You can do this portion the day before or even a couple of days before.
- Add your vegetable oil to a large fry pan or skillet and heat it over medium heat. You want it hot when you add your mac and cheese bites so you get that golden crispy crust and don't just make it soggy.
- Create your dredging station. Add the Gluten Free bread crumbs to one bowl. Whisk together the egg and water in another to create your egg wash.
- Cut the chilled macaroni and cheese into 2" squares. Dip them in the egg wash and then add them to the breadcrumbs, making sure they're fully coated.
- Add them to the hot oil. Allow the first side to brown for 2-3 minutes before flipping them and browning the second.
- Remove them from the pan and place them on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- I love sprinkling a little Dairy Free parmesan over the top of these Gluten and Dairy Free Fried Macaroni and Cheese Bites and serving them with marinara sauce.
Are you looking for more great appetizer ideas? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten and Dairy Free Tomato Peach Bruschetta. Now let's get cooking!
Gluten and Dairy Free Fried Macaroni and Cheese Bites
- 1 large pot
- 1 9x11 baking dish
- 1 large skillet or frying pan
Mac and Cheese
- 1 pkg Gluten Free elbow pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 8 oz Dairy Free cream cheese
- 16 oz Dairy Free shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 oz Dairy Free sour cream
- 1 ½ cups Dairy Free milk
- ¼ tsp ground mustard
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
Fried Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 ½ cups bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- Marinara for serving
- Dairy Free parmesan for garnishj
Mac and Cheese
- Cook elbow noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Add the remaining ingredients to a pot on mediul heat. Keep stirring until everything is melted and combined.
- Add the macaroni into the cheese sauce and stir to combine.
- Pour the mac and cheese int a 9x11 baking dish.
- Allow to chill completely. This portion can be done the night before or a couple of days before.
Fried Macaroni and Cheese
- Add your oil to a large fry pan and heat over medium.
- Whisk together the egg and water.
- Add your bread crumbs to another bowl.
- Cute your chilled mac and cheese into 2" squares.
- Dip the squares into the egg wash followeed by the breadcrumbs, making sure they're fully coated.
- Add the breaded mac and cheese to the hot oil.
- Allow them to cook 2-3 minutes on the first side, or until they're golden brown.
- Flip them and cook the second side 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Sprinkle Dairy Free parmesan over the top. Serve with marinara.