What is your favorite side at the holidays? There is nothing better than digging into a piping hot casserole dish of creamy, dreamy, macaroni and cheese. Gluten and Lactose Free Baked Macaroni and Cheese is the decadent side the entire family will love.
Whether you’re looking for a side to serve next to your Gluten Free Turkey Roulade with Date Stuffing or something to bring to a family barbecue, this decant macaroni and cheese is sure to be a favorite. The best part, it’s completely lactose free so everyone can dig in.
When it comes to making an ooey and gooey mac and cheese, it’s all about the right ingredients. Using Green Valley Creamery cheese makes this Gluten and Lactose Free Baked Macaroni and Cheese a total winner.
- Green Valley Creamery Lactose Free Mild Cheddar – This smooth and creamy cheddar is made with simple ingredients. It’s high in both protein and calcium and melts up creamy every time.
- Green Valley Creamery Lactose Free Cream Cheese – This tangy and dreamy cream cheese is made with just four simple ingredients, cream, sea salt, lactase enzyme, and live, active cultures. It’s a cream cheese the entire family can enjoy on their bagels in addition to being perfect to add to recipes while keeping it lactose free. It brings tang to this macaroni and cheese and also helps create the silky sauce without having to make a roux.
- Salt and Pepper
- Garlic Powder – Gives depth and a savory flavor.
- Onion Powder – Gives the delicate, sweet bite of onion to the sauce.
- Paprika – Adds a smoky, earthy note and deepens the color of the sauce.
- Dairy Free Milk – Use your favorite variety. You can also use lactose free milk.
- Ground Mustard – Adds a bright savory note that balances the richness and wakes up all of the flavors.
- Dairy Free Butter – Adds richness. You can also use lactose free butter.
- Gluten Free Macaroni – Pick your favorite shape and cook according to the package directions. Elbow is the classic choice.
How to Make Gluten and Lactose Free Baked Macaroni and Cheese
The only thing between you and the creamiest baked macaroni and cheese is a grater and less than an hour. Unlike many recipes that require making a roux, this luxurious cheesy mac couldn’t be easier.
Time needed: 40 minutes
Both lactose free cheddar and lactose free cream cheese make this mac and cheese a total dream.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Shred your cheese. Cook the elbow macaroni according to the package directions, careful not to overcook it.
Heat a saucepan over medium heat with the butter and milk. Once the butter has melted add half of your cheese, all of the cream cheese, and the seasonings. Continue to stir until all of the cheese has melted.
Add the pasta and stir to combine.
Pour the macaroni and cheese into a 7×10 baking dish. Add the remaining cheddar cheese to the top. Allow the mac and cheese to bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is golden, bubbly, and melted.
I used Gluten Free macaroni for this recipe. However, you can make the same recipe with your favorite pasta.
Not that macaroni and cheese ever lasts long, but the leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator covered for up to a week. Feel free to drizzle in a little extra milk when reheating it in either the oven on low, or in the microwave.
In addition, you can also freeze the leftovers. Once it has been completely cooled it can be portioned into freezer safe bags. Make sure all of the air is out and seal them tightly. They will keep for up to six months.
Top Tip for Gluten and Lactose Free Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Because the pasta will cook even one once it goes into the oven, be careful not to cook your pasta too long. Use the guide for al dente and cook it just a minute under. This will give you the perfect bite to your oven baked macaroni and cheese.
Gluten and Lactose Free Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 saucepan
- 1 7×10 casserole dish
- 16 oz Green Valley Creamery Lactose Free Mild Cheddar, shredded, divided
- 8 oz Green Valley Creamery Lactose cream cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 cups Dairy Free or Lactose Free milk
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 3 tbsp Dairy Free or Lactose Free butter
- Gluten Free elbow macaroni, cooked according to the package directions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the milk and butter to a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the butter is melted.
- Add 8 oz of cheddar cheese, all of the cream cheese, and the seasonings. Continue to stir until the cheese is melted.
- Stir in the drained macaroni.
- Pour the macaroni and cheese into a 7×10 casserole dish.
- Top the macaroni and cheese with the other half of the cheddar.
- Allow the macaroni and cheese to bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted, golden, and bubbly.