Soup season and fall go hand in hand, or spoon in bowl. Whether you're looking for a cozy dish to warm up to on a cool evening or an elegant started for your holiday meal, there's nothing like the comfort of butternut squash soup. Gluten and Dairy Free Butternut Squash Soup is the silky, aromatic, and warm dish you will be turning to all season long.
Butternut squash is at season's peak this time of year, making it perfect to add to fall recipes like Spiced Porkchops with Butternut Squash Risotto. When you start with seasoning ingredients, it doesn't take much to let it shine.
Gluten and Dairy Free Butternut Squash soup is not only free of dairy and gluten, but this is also a delicious vegetarian friendly recipe. With just a few simple ingredients this nourishing and cozy soup comes together easily.
- Butternut Squash - The star of this dish, the delicate and sweet flavor of the butternut squash makes this a dish the entire family will love.
- Apples - Pick your favorite kind. You can add a little tartness by using an apple such as a Granny Smith, Pink Lady, and McIntosh, or add sweetness by picking an apple like a Honeycrisp or Gala.
- Onion - Adds depth and savory flavor to the soup.
- Salt and Pepper - Enhances all of the flavors while adding mild, earthy heat.
- Ancho Powder - Earthy, a little smoky, and mild, this adds depth and mystery to the soup.
- Ground Thyme - Bright, herbaceous, and a little citrusy, ground thyme adds savory flavor.
- Nutmeg - Aromatic and warm, nutmeg is the perfect accent to the sweetness of both the apple and the butternut squash.
- Vegetable Stock - Helps thin out this soup and give it its silky texture while also adding flavor.
- Yacona Yacon Syrup - This organic, all-natural sweetener from Alovitox is low on glycemic scale. It has ⅓ less calories than sugar and honey, but just as much sweetness and flavor. It's high in fiber, helps regulate blood sugar, and helps with weight management.
- Bee Pollen Granules - Not only adds texture and sweetness, but Alovitox bee pollen granules also help reduce inflammation. In addition, it boosts the immune system, helps detox the liver, and lowers heart disease risk.
- Pumpkin Seeds - Adds crunch to accent the silky texture of this soup.
How to Make Gluten and Dairy Free Butternut Squash Soup
This silky and seasonal soup comes together in less than 45 minutes. A little sweet, a little savory, and completely warming, it will become your new favorite way to enjoy butternut squash.
Time needed: 45 minutes.
This soup packs decadent flavor without the guilt. Whether you're serving it as a starter or on its own, it's perfect anytime.
Dice all of your vegetables. You want them to be fairly even in size, so they cook up at the same time.
Heat a large stockpot over medium heat. Add olive oil and the onions. Cook for five minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
Cover the pot and allow the soup to cook for 20 minutes, or until the squash is fork tender.
Use an immersion blender to puree the soup. You can also transfer it to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Finishing Touch
Divide your soup between bowls. Garnish with bee pollen and pepitas. Enjoy!
This soup uses vegetable broth, keeping it vegan without the bee pollen and vegetarian with the bee pollen. However, you can substitute the vegetable broth for homemade chicken stock or chicken broth.
Using an immersion blender to create this butternut squash soup makes it easy to create that thick, luscious, and creamy texture without the addition of any Dairy Free cream or regular cream. You can also use a blender. Just be careful when adding the hot soup.
Not only is this soup a great make ahead, but it also makes great leftovers. Simply store the soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. In addition, you can also freeze this soup. Allow it to fully cool before transferring it to a freezer safe bag.
Top Tip for Gluten and Dairy Free Butternut Squash Soup
Texture matters! This soup is all about the silky and creamy texture, which is accented with crunch. Always think about contrasting textures when creating any dish so it's not so one note.
Gluten and Dairy Free Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 stockpot
- 1 Immersion Blender
- Place a large stockpot or Dutch oven on medium heat.
- Add olive oil and the onion. Sauté for 5 minutes until translucent and tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until the butternut squash is tender.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer to a blender. Blend until smooth and silky.
- Divide the soup between bowls. Garnish with honey pollen granules and pumpkin seeds.