The new year is just around the corner and with it the time to refresh and renew. Easy Roasted Whole Chicken with Kale Salad is a cozy and comforting dish that will nourish you and your family from the inside out.
There’s just something about a roast chicken that equals comfort. Whether it’s Roasted Barbecue Chicken with Vegetables or this hearty kale salad and classic roast chicken, it’s always a favorite.
Easy Roasted Whole Roasted Chicken with Kale Salad combines seasonal fall and winter ingredients like sweet butternut squash and crispy kale with the easiness of a whole chicken. This budget friendly meal packs texture, color, and a balance of flavors.
- Whole Chicken – The cooking time will vary by the weight of your chicken. Five-pound chickens are usually categorized as a roaster. They cook up tender and are less likely to be tough like larger birds that are older.
- Salt and Pepper – Enhances all of the flavors of the ingredients.
- Parsley – Adds a grassy fresh note to the chicken.
- Garlic Powder – Gives the chicken savory flavor.
- Kale – Use your favorite variety. Tuscan or dino kale will be the most tender raw in a salad.
- Dried Cherries – Gives this salad a pop of color while adding a fruity tang.
- Pepitas – Gives crunch to every bite of this salad.
- Pear – Adds sweetness to the salad and compliments the natural sweetness of the butternut squash.
- Butternut Squash – The butternut squash is roasted along with the chicken. As it roasts its natural sweetness intensifies.
- Olive Oil
- Honey – Adds sweetness to the dressing.
- Yellow Mustard – Gives a bright tang to the honey-mustard dressing.
- Dijon Mustard – The complex flavor of the Dijon takes this honey mustard salad dressing over the top.
How to Make Easy Roasted Whole Chicken with Kale Salad
Chicken and honey mustard belong together. This roast chicken recipe utilizes that classic pairing by making it the salad dressing for this colorful and crunchy salad and also the perfect finishing drizzle for the chicken.
Time needed: 2 hours
The hardest part of creating this roast chicken recipe is the anticipation of cutting into it while the chicken rests.
Allow your chicken to sit out and come to room temperature. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
Mix together your seasonings. Brush the chicken with olive oil and then season it with the seasoning mixture.
Place the chicken in a roasting pan or baking dish. Allow it to roast for about 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes add the squash to an oven safe baking dish and toss it with the remaining olive oil. Season it with salt and pepper and let it roast for 20-25 minutes or until it’s fork tender.
Once the thickest part of the chicken breast is 165 degrees, remove your chicken from the oven and allow it to rest for 20 minutes before carving.
Mix together all of the ingredients for your salad.
Mix together your honey-mustard dressing.
Cut up your chicken. Plate it with the salad. Drizzle the honey-mustard over both the chicken and salad.
- Sunflower Seeds – No pepita seeds? No problem! You can replace the pepitas in this recipe with sunflower seeds for a similar texture and flavor.
- Squash – use your favorite hard winter squash in this recipe. Acorn squash, delicata. and hubbard squash are all great options.
- Cranberries – If you don’t have dried cherries dried cranberries can be used in this recipe for Easy Roasted Whole Chicken and Kale Salad.
The salad and honey-mustard for this recipe can be made earlier in the day. Keep them stored separately in airtight containers.
Top Tip for Easy Roasted Whole Chicken with Kale Salad
Is there anything better than slicing into a juicy perfectly cooked chicken? There are three simple steps to perfectly cooked roasted chicken every time. Always allow your chicken to sit out and come to room temperature before placing it in the oven. Cook your chicken to 160-165 degrees. Using an instant read thermometer will make this easy. Finally, let your chicken rest before carving it. This allows all of the juices to redistribute into the meat instead of winding up all over your cutting board.
Easy Roasted Whole Chicken and Kale Salad
- 2 baking dishes
- 4-5 lbs whole chicken
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp parsley
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 3 cups butternut squash, 1" cube
- 5 cups kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cherries can substitute eith dried cranberries
- 1/8 cup pepitas
- 1 pear, sliced
Honey Mustard Dressing
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Allow chicken to sit out and come to room temperature.
- Mix together the seasonings for the chicken.
- Brush the chicken with 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil. Evenly sprinkle the seasonings over the chicken.
- Place the chicken in a baking dish. Allow it to roast for 20 minutes. in the middle rack in the middle of the oven.
- Add the butternut squash to another baking dish. Drizzle the remaining 1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil over it. Season with salt and pepper.
- Let the squash roast along with the chicken for 20-25 minutes or until fork tender.
- Allow the chicken to roast until the thickest part of the chicken breast is 165 degrees. Remove from the oven and let rest.
- Mix together all of the ingredients for your salad.
- Miz together the ingredients for the honey-mustard.
- Carve the chicken.
- Plate the chicken and salad. Drizzle the honey mustard over both. Enjoy!