There’s something about churro donuts that are universally appealing. They’re not only fun and happy, they’re an excuse to have a sweet treat in the morning, or a little pick me up in the afternoon. These Gluten Free Churro Donuts will have your family flocking to the kitchen as the aromatic smell of cinnamon perfumes the air.
Can we all agree that red neon sign proclaiming hot donuts possesses a power to instantly make our mouths water? You know the one I’m talking about. It’s a universal beacon of good eats ahead. By the time you get them home however, they’re never hot!
These dairy free and gluten free churro donuts will satisfy your craving any time of day. Throw in the added bonus you can totally prepare these and eat them in your pajamas. There’s no need to get dressed when the craving strikes!
If you love a sweet and tasty treat you might also like my gluten free white chocolate pistachio lava cakes.
Gluten Free Churro Donuts, Easy As 1-2-3
Making gluten free churro donuts at home couldn’t be easier. Because they’re a cake based donut, there is no need to add yeast and wait for them to rise.
Also, because these donuts are baked, you don’t have to worry about making a mess in the kitchen with hot molten oil splattering everywhere. In only three simple steps, you will be on your way to total donut nirvana.
Mix, bake, top.
Let’s start with the mixing. The key to the texture of these gluten free donuts is a combination of both not over mixing, and the addition of applesauce. The applesauce not only provides incredible flavor, it ensures these donuts have that cravable moist bite.
Unlike many baked goods, these donuts bake up quickly. Because everyone’s oven bakes at a slightly different temp, you will want to check these at the 15 minute mark. They should be gorgeously golden.
While these are gluten free churro donuts, they’re also a canvas to your own creativity and cravings!
They’re incredible on their own, but become even more spectacular with a drizzle of melted chocolate, a haphazard glaze of dulce de leche, and a crowning glory of a churro marshmallow.
Now that I know you’re craving donuts, let’s get baking!
Gluten Free Churro Donuts
- Mixing Bowl
- Whisk or mixer
- Donut pan
- 8 oz applesauce
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup oat milk
- 2 tbsp Dairy Free butter
- 2 cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Dairy Free butter, melted
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the egg, butter, butter, oat milk, and sugar to a mixing bowl. Mix on high for approximately 3 minutes, or until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is a little foamy.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl. Using a spatula fold in the ingredients until just incorporated.
- Spray 2 donut pans with non stick spray.
- Add equal amounts of the batter to the donut pans.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow to sit for several minutes before removing from the pans.
- Let donuts cool before glazing.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon together.
- Brush the tops of the donuts with the melted butter.
- Dip the donuts into the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- If adding additional toppings, drizzle on melted chocolate, dulce de leche and/or top with a churro marshmallow.