Have you ever experienced such a perfect dish that the need to recreate it becomes a passion? As a result, it becomes a driving force. These Gluten Free White Chocolate Pistachio Lava Cakes are the product of one such mission. They are the culmination of much research and development. Playing with food has never resulted in such decadent results!
Gluten Free White Chocolate Pistachio Lava Cakes, a taste of Venice at home
On one trip to Italy, my husband and I stayed in Venice. When you hear Venice images of maze-like canals, fleets of gondolas, colorful Venetian glass, curvaceous arches, and bubbling prosecco probably come to mind.
I was left transfixed by a decadent white chocolate pistachio cake. Imagine airy, lightly sweet cake with that delectably oozing center and the perfect verdant and nutty pop of pistachios.
The desire to make it at home and ensure you could too became a mission. And guess what? Mission accomplished!
The sweet creamy white chocolate reminds me of the graceful and regal white palazzos that proudly line the Grand Canal. The fresh, bright, delicate kiss of pistachios echo the colorful and happy millefiori glass Venice is so renowned for.
Steps to the perfect lava cake
I can’t take you to Venice, but I can give you a taste of a true Venetian delicacy with this Gluten Free White Chocolate Pistachio Lava Cake.
- Buttering and flouring your ramekins will help wow your friends and family with that show stopping flip. You can even use your leftover dairy free butter wrappers for this process. Make sure all of your ramekins are evenly coated in a thin layer of dairy free butter and then sprinkle in your gluten free flour, leaving all of the butter coated in the powder. Shake out the excess.
- You want to slowly melt your white chocolate, not breaking it. A double boiler is perfect for this! If you do not have a double boiler, a sauce pot and larger bowl will work. Bring one pot of water to a medium simmer and fit a larger bowl over the top, making sure the water doesn’t touch the bowl. The steam enveloping the bottom of the bowl creates the right environment to make the melting of the butter and chocolate a gentle process.
- Always temper your eggs. When you add a little of the melted chocolate and dairy free butter mixture to your eggs, it will keep the eggs from scrambling. The hot temperature of the white chocolate will raise the temperature of the eggs making it easy to add the rest of your chocolate mixture.
- Timing is everything. I played baking Willy Wonka to get the timing just right. Set the alarm on your phone, an old school egg timer, or the timer on your oven. Pour a glass of prosecco, but don’t walk away for too long. It’s all about the glorious melting center that hugs your taste buds in flavor.
When you create a double boiler, it allows you to cook or melt something at a gentle heat without worry of over cooking it. This is useful for making custards, meringues, melting chocolate, etc. The best part is you don’t need any special tools.
Armed with a pot of simmering water and a glass bowl, you can easily create a double boiler at home. The key is to make sure the water never touches the bottom of the bowl. You want the steam created from the seal to do all of the work.
Now that you have the basics down, let’s make Gluten Free White Chocolate Pistachio Lava Cakes!
Molten Pistachio White Chocolate Cake
- 6 ramekins
- Baking Sheet
- Double boiler
- Large bowl
- 11 tbsp Butter dairy free
- 5 Eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 6 oz Dairy Free white chocolate chips
- ½ cup 1.1 Gluten Free flour
- ½ tbsp Pistachio paste
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- 1 tbsp butter, for greasing the ramekins
- 1 tbsp 1.1 Gluten Free flour, for flouring the ramekins
- Butter and flour your 6 ramekins and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add the sugar and the eggs. With your mixer on medium speed, beat the egg and sugar until it becomes pale yellow and slightly thickened, approximately 5 minutes.
- Heat the water in your double boiler on medium low until just simmering. Add your butter and white chocolate chips to the bowl making sure it does not touch the water. Continually stir until the chocolate chips and dairy free butter are melted and combined and then add your pistachio paste, stirring to incorporate into the chocolate mixture. Remove the bowl from the burner.
- Add ¼ cup of the chocolate mixture in a steady drizzle to your eggs while continually stirring to temper the eggs. Once incorporated add the remaining chocolate mixture, mixing the entire time.
- Add the flour and baking powder to the batter, stirring until just incorporated.
- Evenly divide the batter between 6 ramekins. A measuring cup works great for this. You can store the cakes at this point in the fridge until you are ready to bake.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 14-16 minutes. The edges should be set and the center should have a slight divot and be jiggly.
- Remove from the baking sheet and allow to cool for three minutes.
- Place a plate on top of the ramekin and invert it, flipping out onto the plate. If saving for later you can also eat them out of the ramekin.
- I like to plate these with a garnish of chopped pistachios and drizzle of melted white chocolate.
Hey! The amount of white chocolate chips is missing in ingredients list.
Have no idea how much to add :(
Hello, It is 6oz of white chocolate. Thank you.
Hi, how many grams is 11 tbsp of butter?
Look forward to hear.
Hello, 11 tbsp = 162.65441260262 g