Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. What better way to celebrate than with a restaurant worthy sweet treat to end a romantic meal? Decadent Dairy Free Vanilla Creme Brulee is the silky, creamy, and luxurious dessert worthy of any celebration.
You might already have your main course of Dairy Free Seared Steak with Garlic Herb Butter planned, but what about dessert? Not only is this creme brulee recipe a showstopper and easy, but it’s also a perfect make ahead that will have you enjoying quality time instead of being in the kitchen.
Decadent Dairy Free Vanilla Creme Brulee might taste like you spent all day in the kitchen, but with four simple ingredients and an easy process, this luscious dessert is simple to shop for and make. As soon as you crack into that burnt sugar top, it will be love at first bite!
- Egg Yolks – This is the base of the custard. Not only gives the creme brulee its rich flavor but also helps create the silky and creamy texture.
- Sugar – Sugar is used in two forms. It sweetens the custard and is also used to create the crispy burnt sugar crust.
- Dairy Free Heavy Cream – Combined with the eggs, this helps form the base for the vanilla custard for this dessert.
- Vanilla Paste – Vanilla bean paste gives a more intense, pure vanilla flavor that includes specks from the vanilla pods. This adds richness to the dessert, depth, and a slight floral note.
How to Make Decadent Dairy Free Vanilla Creme Brulee
There are only a few simple steps needed to make this classic French dessert. The hardest part of the process is the waiting as it cools down and sets up in the fridge.
Time needed: 4 hours and 45 minutes
Classic decadent French creme brulee is made easily accessible for everyone to enjoy.
Preheat the oven to 350 degree. This recipe will fit four normal sized ramekins.
Add the egg yolks and 1/3 cup of sugar to a mixing bowl and mix on high for three minutes. It will become pale in color.
Add the heavy cream and vanilla bean paste to a small saucepan over medium low heat. Allow it to scald, with bubbles forming around the edges but not come to a full boil.
Add a ladle of the warm cream to the eggs whisk quickly to prevent the eggs form curdling. Add the remaining warm cream while continuously whisking.
Divide the custard between the four ramekins. Place the ramekins in a 9″ square baking pan. Carefully pour 12 ounces of water to the pan.
Let the creme brulee bake fr 30 minutes. Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool to room temperature for 30 minutes.
Transfer the cooled vanilla creme brulee to the refrigerator. Let them refrigerate for at least four hours. This can be made several days in advance.
When ready to serve, sprinkle sugar over the top. Use a kitchen torch to lightly torch and melt the sugar. Enjoy!
This vanilla creme brulee recipe is perfect on its own, but also a great canvas to add additional flavors. Here are just a few ideas.
- Snickerdoodle – Add a cinnamon stick to the steeping heavy cream. When making the bruleed topping add a pinch of cinnamon to the sugar.
- Caramel – Add caramel extract to the custard after mixing in the yolks.
- Lavender – Add a teaspoon of lavender to the steeping heavy cream.
- Citrus – Add orange zest, lemon zest, and lime zest, or your favorite combination, to the steeping cream.
- Coffee – Add a teaspoon of coffee extract to the egg yolks after adding the heavy cream.
This recipe is completely Dairy Free. However, you can substitute the plant cream for regular heavy cream in this recipe.
This recipe for Dairy Free creme brulee is a great make ahead. It will last for up a week in the refrigerator. Make sure to keep the ramekins covered and torch the sugared top just before serving.
Top Tip for Decadent Dairy Free Vanilla Creme Brulee
Creme brulee is all about that silky and creamy texture. Always take the time to temper your eggs before adding all of the hot heavy cream. This will bring the eggs closer to the temperature of the warm cream and prevent them from scrambling.
Decadent Dairy Free Vanilla Creme Brulee
- 4 ramekins
- 1 9" square baking dish
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 saucepan
- 1 kitchen torch
- 5 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar, plus 1/8 cup for topping
- 2 cups Dairy Free heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla paste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add 1/3 cup sugar and egg yolks to a mixing bowl. Mix on high for 3 minutes. It will become pale in color and the sugar will mostly dissolve.
- Add the heavy cream and vanilla paste to a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Allow it to come to a low boil, where there are bubbles just beginning to form around the edge.
- Add a ladle full of the cream mixture to the eggs, mixing the entire time.
- Add the remaining cream to the eggs continuously mixing.
- Divide the custard between the four ramekins.
- Place the ramekins into the baking dish. Carefully pour 12 oz of water into the pan to create a water bath and place in the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow the creme brulee to cool to room temperature for 30 minutes before refrigerating for at least 4 hours. These can be made in advance.
- When ready to serve sprinkle a little sugar on top and use a kitchen torch to caramelize it. Enjoy!