What happens when two beloved baked goods – banana bread and monkey bread – unite? You get Banana Bread Monkey Bread, an exciting blend of comfort and fun, perfect for almost any occasion. This recipe brings the sweet, moist flavors of banana bread into the shareable, pull-apart form of monkey bread.
It’s easy to prepare, so even if you’re not a seasoned baker, you can create something delightful. It’s a delicious treat that is bound to be a crowd-pleaser, whether you’re looking to surprise your family or contribute something unique to a gathering.
It’s a recipe fun enough to feature at brunches, holiday celebrations, or even as an indulgent snack for movie night. With everyday ingredients and straightforward steps, this Banana Bread Monkey Bread is an inviting, sweet addition to your cooking repertoire.
Why You’ll Love Banana Bread Monkey Bread
- Unique Fusion of Flavors: This isn’t your standard monkey bread. The addition of banana gives it a unique sweetness, reminiscent of your favorite banana bread, enhancing the classic cinnamon and sugar elements.
- Easy to Prepare: You don’t need to be a pro in the kitchen to make this. The steps are straightforward, making it a great project for beginners or even for kids under adult supervision.
- Perfect for Sharing: The pull-apart nature of monkey bread makes it a communal experience. It’s a dessert that gets people reaching across the table, perfect for family gatherings or parties.
- Customizable: If you or someone in your circle has specific dietary needs, you can opt for dairy-free sweetened condensed milk without sacrificing flavor.
- Highly Versatile: Whether it’s a Sunday brunch, a holiday, or a weeknight where you want something special, this recipe fits in seamlessly.
What You Need To Make Banana Bread Monkey Bread
- Measuring cups/spoons
- 9×13 Baking Dish
- 1.5/2 Inch Scoop
- Stock Pot
Ingredients You Need To Make Banana Bread Monkey Bread
- Kosher Salt
- Instant Active Yeast
- Ripe Bananas
- Chopped Walnuts
- Dairy-free sweetened condensed milk
How To Make Banana Bread Monkey Bread
- In a mixing bowl, add banana, cinnamon, and salt. Mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine half of the sugar, yeast, honey, and warm water. Stir briefly and let sit for 5 minutes until it bubbles.
- In a stockpot, melt the butter and add the rest of the sugar and milk. Scald the milk mixture until the sides start to bubble, but don’t let it boil. Set aside to cool partially.
- Add the yeast mixture to the banana mixture, followed by the milk mixture.
- Begin adding flour, half a cup at a time, mixing until combined. The dough will be sticky.
- With 1 tablespoon of butter, grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- Add the chopped walnuts to the dish and pour the dairy-free sweetened condensed milk on top.
- Use a 1.5/2 inch scoop to add dough on top of the base layer.
- Cover with a towel and let rise until tripled in size (approximately 3-5 hours).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven, let rest for 5 minutes, flip and enjoy!
Commonly Asked Questions
Can I Substitute Regular Milk?
Yes, you can use regular milk if you don’t need the recipe to be dairy-free.
How Long Will It Keep?
It’s best enjoyed fresh but can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2-3 days.
Can I Freeze It?
Yes, you can freeze the baked bread for up to one month. Just make sure it’s cooled completely before freezing.
Do I Have to Use Walnuts?
You can omit them if you prefer, but they add a nice crunch and extra layer of flavor to the dish.
Banana Bread Monkey Bread
- Measuring cups/spoons
- 9×13 baking dish
- 1.5/2 Inch Scoop
- Stock Pot
Ingredients Banana Bread:
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water 110 deg
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp instant active yeast
- 1 cup ripe bananas 2 medium size bananas
- 3 1/2 cups of flour you may need an additional 1/2 cup
Ingredients: Base Layer
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 2-11.25 oz can of dairy free sweetened condensed milk
How To Make The Banana Bread:
- In a mixing bowl (using a padding) add banana, cinnamon, salt & mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl add 1/2 the sugar, yeast, honey & warm water.
- Stir for a second and let sit for 5 mins, should bubble.
- To a stock pot, add the butter, rest of the sugar & milk.
- Scald the milk mixture, the side will start to bubble (do not boil), set aside to cool partially.
- Add the yeast mix to the banana mixture, then milk mix.
- Start adding 1/2 a cup of flour at a time. Mix till combined. Dough will be very sticky
How To Make It The Base Layer:
- With 1 tbsp of butter, butter a 9×13 baking dish.
- Add the chopped walnuts to the baking dish & pour the sweetened condensed milk on top.
- Use a 1" 1/2-2" scoop, scoop the dough on top.
- Cover with a towel, let rise until tripled in size (approx. 3-5hrs).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes golden brown on top.
- Remove, let rest for 5 mins, flip, Enjoy!
This Banana Bread Monkey Bread recipe is a sweet testament to the joy of baking and sharing good food. From the buttery base layer to the rich banana dough, every element works together to create a one-of-a-kind dessert. It’s a recipe that invites you to get hands-on, to pull apart and enjoy each bite, and to share the love and warmth of homemade baking with others. After trying this Banana Bread Monkey Bread, you’ll want to make it again and again.