I don't label a lot of things the best. It's a bold statement that leads to major expectations. When it comes to The Best Dairy Free and Gluten Free Cheesecake however, I am confident that both the flavor and texture will be the best your ever had. Just ask Stylist Magazine who included this in their 5 of the Best Cheesecake Recipes.
Can we just pause for a moment and gaze upon the texture of this cheesecake? When creating recipes that are gluten free and dairy free, I never want people to think they're good for being gluten free. Or they're good for being dairy free. I want them to think they're great! Explanation point. Period. This cheesecake gives you all the creamy luxurious texture and rich tang you crave when it comes to cheesecake. It's so good, you might not be able to share!
Let's Talk Ingredients
It has taken me countless tries to come up with just the right flavor and texture for a dairy free and gluten free cheesecake. So when I say this is The Best Dairy Free and Gluten Free Cheesecake it's because I have trialed and error with many different products and combination of products.
When it comes to some recipes I will recommend you use what you like, but for this particular recipe to achieve just the right decadent texture, I am going to recommend specific products.
This recipe calls for both Dairy Free cream cheese and also Dairy Free sour cream. I have tested this with both Kite Hill cream cheese and also Tofutti cream cheese and sour cream. In addition, you can also use a combination of the two.
Besides the cheese portion of The Best Gluten Free and Dairy Free Cheesecake, let's talk vanilla. This cheesecake gets a double dose of vanilla in both vanilla extract and vanilla paste. You want to use a high quality vanilla extract for a more intense true vanilla flavor.
While vanilla extract has an alcohol base that evaporates as it bakes, leaving behind a faint vanilla flavor, the vanilla bean paste is thicker, including the beans, or caviar of the vanilla beans. This gives you the unmistakable little flecks of vanilla confetti.
Baking The Best Gluten Free and Dairy Free Cheesecake
In addition to being the best bite of cheesecake, this dessert couldn't be easier. Unlike many recipes, there's no need for a water bath. Let me walk you through the simple steps.
First, let's start with the crust. To achieve the perfect sandy fine grain crumb, I like to add my Gluten Free graham crackers to a blender. This will give you an even consistency that will mix well with the melted Dairy Free butter.
Make sure you spray your 9" spring form pan well with non stick baking spray. Using a spring form pan will make for an easy release of this cheesecake.
When it comes to making your cheesecake batter, let your mixer do all of the work. Add your eggs, sugar, and vanilla bean paste and let it mix until it's light and fluffy. This will take about five minutes.
You want to make sure your Dairy Free cream cheese is at room temperature. This will help everything mix into a smooth and creamy texture. It should be thick, luscious, and decadently creamy.
When you're ready to bake your cheesecake, place it on the center rack in the center of your oven. This cheesecake bakes for 45 minutes. No peeping! I know it's tempting to crack open that oven door and check on things, but keep the oven shut during the entire bake time. You want to maintain that consistent even heat.
Allow your cheesecake to cool off. Let it sit out for 1 hour so it can cool and come to room temperature before putting it in the refrigerator and allowing it to chill for 4 hours. The most difficult part of this cheesecake is the waiting!
Are you looking for more dessert inspiration? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake. Now let's get baking!
The Best Gluten Free and Dairy Free Cheesecake
- Mixing Bowl
- 9" springform round pan
Gluten Free Crust
- 2 ¾ cups Gluten Free graham crackers
- 10 tbsp Dairy Free butter, melted
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 16 oz Dairy Free cream cheese, room temperature see note
- 12 oz Dairy Free sour cream see note
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp vanilla extract the higher quality, the more intense the flavor
- 1 ½ tbsp vanilla paste
Gluten Free Crust
- Add the graham crackers to a blender and pulse until they form a sandy texture with fine crumbs.
- Pour the crumbs into a bowl with the melted butter and the cinnamon. Mix until fully combined.
- Spray a 9"springform pan with non stick baking spray. Pres the crumbs into the bottom of the pan and up onto the sides. You can use the bottom of a measuring cup to help make them even and firmly compacted.
- Place in the fridge until you are ready for the filling.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a mixing bowl add the sugar, eggs, and vanilla bean paste. Mix on high for 5 minutes. The mixture should be light and fluffy and the sugar mostly dissolved.
- Add the room temperature cream cheese and mix for 3 minutes. It should be fully incorporated and smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix for 3 more minutes. The mixture will be thick and creamy.
- Slowly pour into the prepared springform pan. Place it on the center rack in the center of the oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Do not open the oven door during this time.
- Remove and allow to sit out for 1 hour, cooling off and coming to room temperature.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours. Slice and enjoy!