Recipes with acorn squash always make me think of the fall. The time when it’s best to cozy up with warm, comforting meals. That’s where the delightful recipe of Stuffed Acorn Squash with Quinoa comes in. This dish is a celebration of fall and winter flavors, marrying the sweetness of acorn squash with the heartiness of quinoa and sausage.
It’s easy to make, deliciously sweet, and perfect for a cozy dinner at home. Whether you’re an experienced cook or just starting out, this recipe is sure to impress with its blend of flavors and textures. The savory notes of sausage and herbs paired with the sweet burst of cranberries and squash create a symphony of tastes that’s hard to resist.
Why You’ll Love Stuffed Acorn Squash with Quinoa
- Seasonal Flavors: This dish captures the essence of fall and winter with its seasonal ingredients, making it the perfect meal to enjoy during the cooler months.
- Versatile: Whether you’re planning a quiet dinner for two or looking for a festive dish for a holiday gathering, this recipe is adaptable and sure to delight any crowd.
- Healthy and Satisfying: Quinoa adds a nutritious twist to this meal, providing a high-protein, gluten-free alternative to traditional grains.
- Aesthetic Appeal: The presentation of the stuffed acorn squash is visually stunning, making it a great option for impressing guests.
- Customizable: Feel free to substitute quinoa with other grains or experiment with different types of squash and nuts to suit your taste preferences.
What You Need To Make Stuffed Acorn Squash with Quinoa
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Baking Sheet
- Stove Top
Ingredients You Need To Make Stuffed Acorn Squash with Quinoa
- Acorn squash
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Dried cranberries
- Ground sausage
- Celery rib
- Small onion
- Ground sage
- Cooked quinoa
How To Make Stuffed Acorn Squash with Quinoa
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
Drizzle olive oil over the cut sides of the acorn squash and season with salt and black pepper.
Over medium heat, brown the ground sausage with diced onion and celery in a skillet.
Once browned, add dried cranberries, mushrooms, thyme, ground sage, and salt to the skillet and mix well.
Stir in the cooked quinoa and chopped pistachios.
Fill the acorn squash halves with this mixture.
Bake the stuffed squash in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the squash is tender.
Serve and enjoy your scrumptious Stuffed Acorn Squash with Quinoa!
Commonly Asked Questions
Can I Use a Different Type of Squash?
Yes, you can use different types of squash, such as butternut or kabocha, for a variation in flavor and texture.
Are There Any Alternatives to Quinoa?
Absolutely! You can substitute quinoa with other cooked grains like rice, wild rice, farro, or barley. However, note that farro is not gluten-free.
Can I Make This Dish Vegetarian?
You can easily make this dish vegetarian by omitting the sausage and adding more vegetables or a vegetarian protein source like chickpeas.
Can I Prepare This Dish in Advance?
Yes, you can prepare the filling in advance and stuff the squash just before baking, making it a convenient option for busy days.
Stuffed Acorn Squash with Quinoa
- Measuring cups/spoons
- mixing bowls
- Baking Sheet
- Stove Top
- 1 squash cut in half and seeds removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 lb ground sausage
- 1 celery rib diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 8 ounces mushrooms diced
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup pistachios chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Drizzle the cut sides of the acorn squash with olive oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt and black pepper.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add the ground sausage, diced onion, and diced celery. Cook until the sausage is browned.
- Once the sausage is browned, add dried cranberries, diced mushrooms, thyme, ground sage, and the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt. Mix well.
- Stir in the cooked quinoa and chopped pistachios until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Fill the acorn squash halves with the quinoa and sausage mixture.
- Place the filled squash halves in the preheated oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the acorn squash is fork-tender.
- Enjoy your delicious Stuffed Acorn Squash with Quinoa!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
The Stuffed Acorn Squash with Quinoa recipe is a perfect blend of health, taste, and visual appeal, making it a fantastic choice for a variety of occasions. It’s an excellent way to incorporate seasonal produce into your meals, ensuring you’re eating fresh and nutritious ingredients.
The combination of sweet and savory flavors in this dish is not only comforting but it’s a wholesome, easy meal your family will love. This recipe is versatile and adaptable – it can be customized for dietary preferences, or to use the ingredients you already have at home. This dish is sure to become a fall and winter favorite in your household, bringing warmth and joy to your dinner table.