Who said getting fancy had to be complicated? Sometimes I want a date night at home with all of the components of a beautiful dinner out. These Scallops with Bacon Jam and Dairy Free Celery Root Puree give you a luxurious restaurant experience in the comfort of your own home.
There’s something about perfectly seared scallops that just sets a mood. Slightly caramelized on the outside while remaining tender and succulent. These decadent treats of the sea remaining completely the star of this dish supported by the ultimate accents.
Seas the Day
I know everyone has a favorite date night food. Other than steak, seafood is always my go to. These Scallops with Bacon Jam and Dairy Free Celery Root Puree will instantly make any night a special occasion.
Let’s set the mood. Creamy, velvety celery root puree with its slightly earthy flavor. Buttery and succulent scallops, nestled in that luxurious hug of puree. The sweet yet tangy smoky bacon jam, alive with the kiss of barbecue. Is your mouth watering yet?
This is such a great date night meal because part of it can be prepared ahead of time. Scallops take only minutes to cook so this meal can come together quickly so you can get to relaxing and enjoying.
Tying the flavors together is Weekend BBQ Seasoning from Outside Table. With notes of ancho chili, chipotle, and cayenne, balanced by a little sugar and sea salt, Weekend BBQ Seasoning is made from all organic ingredients.
Outside Table has an entire line of small batch, artisanal sauces and seasonings. They’re all made with organic ingredients and are free of preservatives and artificial flavors.
Setting a Mood with Scallops and Bacon Jam with Dairy Free Celery Root Puree
For someone passionate about food and cooking, I don’t want to spend an entire day in the kitchen when it comes to date night. I am going to give you tips and tricks for making this dinner a success, and ensuring it comes together easily.
First, let’s make the bacon jam. Make this for topping the scallops, but use it on pork chops, added to a charcuterie board, or even on top of Gluten Free Bacon Jam Chicken Flatbread with Figs.
The bacon and onions are sautéed together until the onions are caramelized and the bacon is completely cooked. After draining the fat, add the remaining ingredients including apple cider vinegar and brown sugar for that balance of sweet and tangy. Allow everything to simmer until slightly thickened.
It’s all about the perfect sear when it comes to scallops. There are three factors that helps with that.
- The type of scallop you use matters. You want to make sure you’re buying dry scallops. This refers to how the scallops were packed.
- Always pat your scallops dry and season them just before searing them. Salt draws out moisture so don’t season them too early.
- Make sure that your pan and oil are fully heated. You want to sear the scallops, not steam them
It all depends on how large your scallops are when it comes to cooking time. After about 1.5 minutes you should start to see a golden brown edge. Flip them and cook the other side another 1.5 to 2 minutes. They should have a beautiful seared crust, but also have a spring to the touch.
You’ve made your bacon jam, you’ve learned how to sear your scallops, let’s give these flavors a place to rest. Scallops with Bacon Jam and Dairy Free Celery Root Puree gets its luxurious texture from the celery root puree.
With just handful of ingredients this is equal parts delicious and simple. After cubing your celery root, it gets boiled with water, Dairy Free heavy cream, kosher salt, and black pepper. Once fork tender everything gets transferred to a blender or food processor and blended until lavishly silky.
All that is left is assembly. A swipe of the puree, giving the seared scallops their prime position, a crown of bacon jam, and for a little peppery pop a sprinkle of microgreens.
Light the candles, pick out your favorite bottle of wine, and let’s make dinner!
Scallops with Bacon Jam and Dairy Free Celery Root Puree
- Sauce pan
- Large skillet
- Stock Pot
BBQ Bacon Jam
- 1 lbs bacon, sliced thin
- 1 onion, sliced thin large
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp Weekend BBQ Seasoning
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
Celery Root Puree
- 1 celery root, ends trimmed and cut into cubes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Dairy Free heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 lbs sea scallops
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Weekend BBQ Seasoning
- pinch of salt
- microgreens for garnishing
- Add the bacon and onions to a stock pot and cook over medium-low hear, stirring occasionally. Allow the onions to caramelize and the bacon to cook through.
- Remove the bacon and onions to a paper towel lined plate and drain off the fat. Add the bacon and onions back into the pot along with the remaining ingredients for the bacon jam.
- Allow to simmer until thickened, approximately 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a container for storage.
Celery Root Puree
- Add all of the ingredients to a stock pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook for approximately 20 minutes, or until the celery root is fork tender.
- Transfer all of the ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until desired consistency.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Remove the side muscle from the scallops and thoroughly pat them dry. Season with BBQ seasoning and salt.
- Space scallops out in the pan, careful not to crowd. Cook the first side for approximately 1.5 minutes, or until you begin to see a golden brown crust form on the bottom coming up the sides. Flip over and cook the other side approximately the same time.
- Scallops are done with they are seared golden brown but still have a spring to the touch.
- To plate give a base of celery root puree, add the scallops, and top with bacon jam. Garnish with microgreens.