Have you tried the smoked cream cheese trend yet? I admit, I gave it a try, and I am obsessed! I love the endless possibilities for toppings and pairings and I love that it works with Dairy Free cream cheese just as well. This Gluten Free Bacon Jam Chicken Flatbread with Figs was created after having leftover bacon jam from smoked cream cheese.
This recipe is the perfect combination of sweet, savory, and peppery. Cool arugula tops the warm smoky bacon jam, and Dairy Free cream cheese offers up a smooth luxurious base. Leftover smoked cream cheese? Feel free to use it here! This is also a perfect use for leftover chicken.
Layers of Flavor
I don't know about you but to me there's something about flatbreads that make me want to open a bottle of wine and just unwind. They're perfect to entertain with and equally as at home just relaxing on a Friday evening.
This Gluten Free Bacon Jam Chicken Flatbread with Figs serves all of the flavors and textures you could crave in a flatbread. With just four simple ingredients you can easily make a crust with just the right amount of chew.
While there are many Gluten Free products out there for crusts, sometimes you just want homemade, and you want it quickly. I will help you get that chewy yet crisp bite.
This flatbread is perfect for fig season, but dried figs also work in this. Their natural sweetness compliments the flavors of the tangy, savory yet sweet bacon jam. There's nothing like that bite with a little bit of each layer.
While each component is a star in its own right, the bacon jam is truly something special. Make it for Gluten Free Bacon Jam Chicken Flatbread with Figs and then have fun using it throughout the week. If it lasts!
The bacon jam hits all of the high notes. It starts a little sweet with a kiss of honey and brown sugar. There's a little sassy spice thanks to Outside Table's Weekend BBQ. With three types of chilis, ancho, cayenne, and chipotle, it brings the heat to balance the sweet. Onions add a natural aromatic flavor and the bacon holds it all together...smoky, savory, salty, succulence.
Building Your Gluten Free Bacon Jam Chicken Flatbread with Figs
With just a little bit of chopping and a little bit of mixing you'll be on your way to enjoying your flatbread. Let's take it step by step.
First, it all starts with the crust. The crust is the base of your flatbread and the canvas where you will paint your flavors. There are only four simple, clean ingredients in this recipe. Gluten Free flour, Dairy Free Greek yogurt, salt, and baking powder.
You'll want to mix your ingredients until just combined. As many doughs/batters, it's all about keeping everything tender and relaxed. Don't over mix!
You can cook these flatbreads in a skillet or on a griddle. The key is to make sure it's fully heated along with the oil before adding your dough. This will give you that crisp exterior and more tender interior.
Next up is the bacon jam. Take your time. Allow the bacon and onions to cook slow and low. This will let the fat render from the bacon as the onions caramelize in the bacon fat. Speaking of the bacon fat, it's not needed in this recipe so go ahead and drain it.
Once your onions are caramelized and the bacon has completely cooked, add the rest of your ingredients and allow them to simmer away until it is thickened. Just stir occasionally. Let the magic happen.
From there it's just about building your layers. A swoosh of Dairy free cream cheese, a smear of bacon jam, a sprinkle of diced chicken, that verdant crown of arugula, and a little crumbled Dairy Free cheese confetti. Have fun with it?
Interested in trying smoked Dairy Free cream cheese? Make sure you check out my recipe for Dairy Free Smoked Cream Cheese with Triple Pepper Jelly. Now let's make Gluten Free Bacon Jam Chicken Flatbread with Figs.
Gluten Free Bacon Jam Chicken Flatbread with Figs
- Mixing Bowl
Gluten Free Flatbread Crust
- 1 cup Dairy Free Greek yogurt
- 2 cups Gluten Free flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 lbs bacon, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced large
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp Weekend BBQ seasoning
- 2 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- Dairy Free cream cheese
- bacon jam
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- ½ cup figs, sliced fresh or dried
- Dairy Free crumbled cheese
Gluten Free Flatbread
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl until just combined.
- Shape into your desired flatbread size.
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Add 1 tbsp oil and heat through.
- Add flatbread to the skillet and cook 3-4 minutes per side until golden and slightly crispy.
- Add the bacon and onions to a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Cook until the onions are caramelized and the bacon is completely cooked through, 10-15 minutes.
- Removed the mixture and drain the fat. Add the onions and bacon back to the pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients and continue to cook on medium, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes until the mixture is reduced and thickened.
- Spread the cream cheese on the flatbread.
- Spread the bacon jam over the cream cheese.
- Sprinkle on the chicken and figs.
- Top with the arugula and Dairy Free cheese crumbles.
Leave a Reply