Fire up the grill and raise those tongs. Pork Chops with Collards and Miso Sweet Potatoes is the hearty yet light meal you'll be craving all summer long. Bold flavors, simple steps, and minimal ingredients make this meal a total knockout.
There is something about a meaty pork chop that is total comfort food. Whether it's Easy Fried Pork Chops or this hearty grilled meal, it's always a total hug for the soul. Combining quick cooking bacon kissed collard greens with silky mashed sweet potatoes, this will be a meal your entire family will love.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Quick Cooking - Pork chops grill up pretty quickly for the perfect juicy bite. Utilizing the microwave makes quick work of the sweet potatoes and finely chopping your greens into ribbons allows them to sauté quickly. This is a meal that feels like a special occasion yet it ideal for any night of the week. Skip the takeout and make this!
- Meal Prep - The sweet potatoes and collard greens can be made ahead of time and simply heated up when ready to serve.
- Familiar Flavors - All of the ingredients are perfect accents to the pork chops, sweet potatoes, and collard greens. They add a little sparkle to their natural flavors without taking over.
There's nothing like having a comforting and cozy meal on a busy weeknight. With a few simple, fresh ingredients Pork Chops with Collards and Miso Sweet Potatoes will go from stove to table in less than an hour.
- Pork Chops - Using bone-in, thick cut chops will ensure that these are tender and juicy. I used D'Artagnan pork chops for this recipe. They're incredibly tender and well marbled while being free of antibiotics and hormones.
- Cajun Seasoning - Adds a savory note to the pork chops with a hint of spice. Use your favorite variety.
- Kosher Salt - Enhances all of the natural flavors of the pork, collard greens, and sweet potatoes.
- Olive Oil
- Sweet Potatoes - Pick sweet potatoes with a bright orange or red skin for the most flavor.
- Miso Paste - Gives nutty, salty umami to the sweet potatoes. You will want to use white miso paste for this recipe as it is the most mild and pairs well with sweet flavors.
- Milk - Gives texture and richness to the mashed sweet potatoes.
- Black Pepper
- Bacon - Bacon and greens go together. Gives a smoky note and also gives them that all day cooked flavor even though they come together in less than half an hour.
- Collard Greens - Go ahead and pick up the bunch. Stripping them yourself and cutting them into ribbons will ensure that they cook up quickly and tender.
- Chicken Stock - Helps braise the collards.
- Onion/Garlic Powder - Gives an aromatic savory note to the greens.
- Ancho Chile Powder - Gives earthy, smoky flavor to the greens.
How to Make Pork Chops with Collards and Miso Sweet Potatoes
This is a complete meal with three delicious components that come together for a filling, nutritious, and delicious plate that is filled with fresh ingredients and bold flavors. You can make portions of this meal ahead of time and then reheat them when ready to serve. It also makes for great leftovers and meal prep.
Time needed: 1 hour.
Cajun spiced pork chops, bacon kissed collard greens, and umami laced sweet potatoes will be an instant hit.
- Pork Chops
Preheat your grill to 400 degrees or preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Rub your chops with olive oil and season both sides with the salt and Cajun seasoning. Allow each side to grill for 4-5 minutes, depending upon the thickness of your chops before flipping. Pull them when they hit 140 degrees and allow them to rest for 10 minutes
- Sweet Potatoes
Use a fork to poke holes in your sweet potatoes. Microwave them until they're fork tender. Remove the skin and add the flesh to a bowl along with the rest of the ingredients. Mash them until they're smooth.
Remove the stems from your collards and chop the leaves. Add the bacon to a large pot over medium heat and cook until the fat has rendered. Add the collards and continue to stir, allowing it to wilt down. Add the remaining ingredients and turn the heat to low. Let the greens braise until they're tender, 10-15 minutes.
Serve your Cajun grilled pork chops with the sweet potatoes and greens. Enjoy!
You can use any of your favorite greens for this recipe. Mustard greens, turnip greens, kale, and Swiss chard are all excellent options. The cooking time will vary a little as greens like Swiss chard wilt down quickly while mustard greens are a heartier green and take a little longer to soften.
When it comes to grilling season and cooking meat in general, and instant read digital thermometer is your best friend. This will ensure that you reach your desired level of doneness for your pork chops without over cooking them.
Top Tip for Pork Chops with Collards and Miso Sweet Potatoes
Whether it's a juicy pork chop, steak, or chicken, always let your meat rest before cutting into it. This will allow the juices to redistribute into the meat and give you that juicy bite you crave.
Pork Chops with Collards and Miso Sweet Potatoes
- 1 grill/grill pan
- 1 Bowl
- 1 large pot
- 1 Microwave
Grilled Cajun Pork Chops
- 4 bone in pork chops
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
Miso Sweet Potatoes
- 3 large sweet potatoes, about 4 cups
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp butter
Braised Collard Greens
- 1 bunch collard greens, stems removed, chopped
- 3 strips bacon, chopped
- ⅛ cup chicken stock
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- dash of ancho chili powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
Cajun Pork Chops
- Preheat your grill to 400 degrees or a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Rub both sides of your pork chops with olive oil and season both sides with the Cajun seasoning and salt.
- Cook the first side of your pork chops for 4-5 minutes, or until they easily release from the grill.
- Flip them and cook the second side for another 4-5 minutes or until they've reached your desired doneness. I pull them at 140 degrees.
- Let your pork chops rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Miso Sweet Potatoes
- Use a fork to poke holes in your sweet potatoes.
- Microwave them until they're tender.
- Remove the skin and add the flesh to a bowl. Mix until they're smooth.
Braised Collard Greens
- Remove the stems from your greens and chop the leaves.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat with the bacon. Cook the bacon until it's browned and the fat has rendered.
- Add the greens and continue to stir. Cook them for several minutes util they've wilted.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Let the greens cook until they're tender, 10-15 minutes.
Leave a Reply