Buttery, homey, soft, and fluffy, Lactose Free Buttermilk Drop Biscuits are irresistible on their own but the perfect warm hug for all of your favorites. Whether its piled high with ham or stuffed with fried chicken, these easy biscuits won't last long.
If you're looking for the perfect side to sop up that extra gravy from your Pork Meatloaf with Gravy, these fluffy biscuits are it. They're begging to be slathered, stuffed, buttered, and sopped, but are also delicious all on their own.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Minimal Ingredients - Skip the biscuit mix and make these instead. They only require a handful of baking staples, most of which you probably already have.
- Meal Prep - Make these for breakfast and then enjoy them later in the week with dinner. They can be served at room temperature or easily warmed up.
- Versatility - These were made with gluten free flour, but you can also use regular all purpose flour making these ideal for anyone.
- Easy Process - While some biscuit recipes have you cutting out the biscuits, these drop style biscuits are free formed making the process easy for any level of baker.
You don't need a laundry list of ingredients to make Lactose Free Buttermilk Drop Biscuits. Light, tender, and a little tangy these are sure to become a favorite.
- Flour - You can use gluten free 1.1 flour for this recipe, but you can also use regular all purpose flour. The measurements will be the same.
- Green Valley Butter - Green Valley Lactose-Free Butter is the first lactose-free real dairy butter. It's made with minimal ingredients including cultured fresh cream that gives is a light and clean flavor.
- Kosher Salt
- Sugar - Just a tablespoon of sugar gives this biscuit recipe a delicate sweetness.
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Green Valley Whole Kefir Milk - This Lactose-Free organic plain kefir contains billions of probiotics. Made with pasteurized cultured lowfat milk, this tangy nutritional power house gives both moisture and flavor to these drop biscuits.
How to Make Lactose Free Buttermilk Drop Biscuits
Skip the biscuit mix and the mystery dough in a tube. These easy drop biscuits only require a few simple steps making them a great addition to your table any night of the week.
Time needed: 55 minutes.
These buttery biscuits come together with minimal ingredients and steps. They're delicious on their own slathered in extra butter while also being the perfect canvas for a biscuit sandwich.
Butter a 7x10 baking dish and set aside. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Add all of your dry ingredients to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Butter Makes Everything Better
Add the cold butter. Use a pastry cutter or fork to cut the butter into the flour. It should form a sandy texture.
Add in the kefir and mix until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
Use a 2 ½" scoop to portion out the biscuits and place them into the prepared baking dish.
Allow the biscuits to bake for 17-20 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
This recipe is completely gluten free. However, you can make the same exact recipe with regular all-purpose flour. The measurements will be the same.
These Lactose Free Buttermilk Drop Biscuits are perfect for making ahead. Keep them stored in an airtight container at room temperature and they will last up to four days. You can reheat them in the microwave if desired.
Using a scoop makes it easy to equally portion out your biscuits. This will allow them to bake up evenly. You will also need a pastry cutter or fork to help work the butter into the dry ingredients. You can also use a grater to grate in frozen butter.
Top Tip for Lactose Free Buttermilk Drop Biscuits
When it comes to the butter and kefir in this drop biscuit recipe, you want to keep both of them cold. The butter you can actually freeze and then grate into your flour if desired. By keeping the kefir cold, it won't bring the temperature of the butter down. As the cold butter melts when it bakes, that's what creates the tender and airy texture of the biscuit.
If your butter seems like it's getting too warm as you're mixing your dough stick the bowl into the refrigerator so it an harden back up.
It's also important to be gentle once you add the kefir. Mix your batter until it's just combined. You don't want to over work the dough as this will give you a dense biscuit.
Lactose Free Buttermilk Drop Biscuits
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 pastry cutter/fork
- 1 7"x10" baking dish
- 1 2 ½" scoop
- 2 ¼ cup Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 8 tbsp Green Valley Lactose Free butter, cold plus 1 tbsp for baking dish
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup Green Valley Lactose Free Kefir, cold
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Butter a 7x10 baking dish with 1 tbsp of butter.
- Add the dry ingredients to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the butter into the bowl. Use a pastry cutter or fork to cut the butter into the flour mixture. It should be sandy.
- Add the kefir. Stir until it is just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Use a 2 ½" scoop to portion out equal sized biscuits. Place into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
Leave a Reply