If you’re in search of a dessert that marries savory and sweet with unparalleled finesse, look no further than the Honey Medovik Cake. This gluten and dairy free culinary masterpiece is a testament to the magic that can happen in the kitchen. While it does require a bit of effort, the reward is beyond compare. The exquisite texture and harmonious blend of flavors are sure to leave you yearning for more. Allow yourself to be transported to a realm of culinary delight with this remarkable cake.
Why You’ll Love Honey Medovik Cake
The Honey Medovik Cake is a work of art in the world of desserts. Its texture is simply unparalleled, striking a perfect balance between savory and sweet. The infusion of honey, walnuts, and spiced rum creates a symphony of flavor that is nothing short of extraordinary. While crafting this masterpiece may demand a bit of time and effort, the end result is a culinary triumph that’s well worth every minute spent in the kitchen.
Ingredients You Need to Make Honey Medovik Cake
- 3 cups of 1.1 gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 2 tbsp butter (opt for a dairy-free option)
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 4 tbsp honey
How to Make Honey Medovik Cake
- Begin by preheating your oven to a toasty 350 degrees. Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper to ensure a smooth baking process.
- In a pot, combine the honey, sugar, and butter. Gently melt the mixture over medium-low heat, whisking until the sugar completely dissolves. This should take about 5 minutes. Keep an eye on it—if it starts to bubble, reduce the heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs together. Gradually add a tablespoon of the honey mixture to the eggs, whisking quickly to prevent any chance of scrambling.
- Continue adding a tablespoon at a time, whisking swiftly, until you’ve incorporated all of the honey mixture.
- Now, it’s time to introduce the dry ingredients. Mix them in thoroughly.
- To prevent sticking, flour your work surface generously. Divide the dough into eight equal portions. Use a rolling pin to achieve a 6-inch diameter and 1/8-inch thickness. Trim off any excess. (I used a 6-inch pan as a reference).
- Place each piece on the parchment paper and bake for 4-5 minutes until lightly golden. Allow them to cool on a rack. Repeat this process for all eight pieces.
- For the leftover dough, place it on a sheet pan and bake for 5 minutes. Set it aside to create the crumble for the cake’s exterior.
- For the crumble, blend the leftover cooked dough and 1 cup of walnuts until you achieve a crumbly texture.
- In a pot, combine 1 cup of spiced rum and 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Cook over medium heat until reduced by half. Lightly brush the top of each cake with the rum sauce. Allow it to cool completely.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What does medovik taste like?
Medovik is a Russian honey cake that has a sweet and slightly tangy flavor, primarily from its layers of honey-infused dough and sour cream frosting. The cake often has a moist, tender texture and may also have nutty or caramel undertones, depending on the recipe.
What is medovik made of?
Medovik is made of multiple thin layers of honey-flavored cake and a filling commonly made from sour cream, condensed milk, or cream cheese. The cake layers are usually made from ingredients like flour, sugar, honey, and eggs, while the filling may also include additional flavorings such as vanilla.
How long can I store the Honey Medovik Cake?
The cake can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Make sure to cover it to prevent it from drying out.
Honey Medovik Cake
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Stock Pot
- Cookie Sheet
- Mixing Bowl
- Rolling Pin
- 3 cups 1.1 GF flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3 eggs room temp
- 2 tbsp butter I used a dairy free
- 3/4 sugar
- 4 tbsp honey
- 32 oz sour cream I used a dairy free
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 cup whipping cream I used a dairy free
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a pot add the honey, sugar and butter.
- Melt over med/low heat and whisk until the sugar melts approx 5mins.
- If it starts to bubble, reduce heat.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs together.
- Add a tbsp of the honey mixture to eggs, whisk quickly to avoid scrambling the eggs.
- Add another tbsp, whisk quickly, then add the rest.
- Add the dry ingredients, mix well.
- Flour a work surface well to avoid sticking, cut dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Then with a rolling pin roll into 6″ diameter x 1/8″ thick. Cut the extra amount off and set aside. (I used a 6″ pan to measure).
- Place on the parchment paper, bake for 4-5 minutes until lightly browned, place on a cooling rack. Repeat for 8 pieces.
- With the extra dough place on a sheet pan and bake for 5mins. Then set aside to make the crumble for the outside of the cake.
- *Crumble for cake, add leftover cooked dough and 1 cup of walnuts to a blender and blend until crumble mixture.
- *Add 1 cup of spiced rum and 1/2 cup brown sugar to a pot. Cook over med heat until reduced by half. Lightly brush the top off each cake with the rum sauce. Cool completely.
- Add the whipping cream to a mixing bowl, mix until peaks are firm.
- In a separate bowl mix the sour cream and sugar. Then fold both together.
Layering the Cake
- Start to layer the cake and cream mixture. Be generous with cream. Frost the outside of the cake with the filling, then pat the crumble mixture all over the cake. Place in the fridge for 1 day to set up before serving. Drizzle with honey when serving. Enjoy!
The Honey Medovik Cake is a labor of love, but the reward is beyond compare. Its texture is unparalleled, and the harmonious blend of flavors between savory and sweet is truly a taste sensation. The combination of honey, walnuts, and spiced rum creates a symphony of flavor that will leave you craving more. This gluten-free and dairy-free cake is a testament to the magic that can happen in the kitchen—don’t miss your chance to savor it!