Fire up the grill and give happy hour an upgrade. Grilled Bone Marrow with Easy Balsamic Bacon Jam is an easy and delicious bite that make you a backyard hero.
Bacon jam really does make everything better, like my recipe for Scallops with Bacon Jam and Celery Root Puree. Sticky, smoky, savory, a little sweet, and irresistibly delicious, it goes on everything.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
Bacon. The only thing better than nature’s butter, is melted bone marrow smeared on toast, topped with decadent bacon jam. Grilled Bone Marrow with Easy Balsamic Bacon Jam is the elegant appetizer that will turn grilling into an event.
- Easy Process – The bone marrow itself only requires 15 minutes to grill. The bacon jam simply simmers until it has thickened and can be made ahead of time.
- Flavor Profiles – This recipe has a balance of flavors as well as textures. Smoky, salty, savory, sweet, and tangy, it has it all.
- Versatility – This recipe can be served with Gluten Free grilled bread or whatever your favorite crostini is.
- Beef Bones – You can purchase these as canoe cut, or have your butcher cut them in half for you.
- Pistachios – This adds both texture and a buttery nutty flavor to the molten marrow.
- Bacon – This is the star of the bacon jam. Use your favorite kind. Applewood smoked bacon will be a little more mellow and sweet while hickory smoked bacon will have more of a savory profile.
- Onion – This adds savory note to the bacon jam.
- Balsamic Glaze – This adds tang and depth to the bacon jam with its natural sweetness.
- Brown Sugar – As the jam cooks down this helps give it its thick and sticky texture while balancing the saltiness of the bacon.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Adds brightness to the jam.
- Tomato Paste – This adds both sweetness and also a rich texture to the bacon jam.
How to Make Grilled Bone Marrow with Easy Balsamic Bacon Jam
Fire up the grill and pour your favorite cocktail. This elegant appetizer is as easy as it is delicious.
Time needed: 40 minutes
Preheat your grill to 500-550 degrees.
Place your marrow bones onto the grill, marrow side up. Close the grill and allow them to cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the marrow is beginning to melt and bubble.
- That’s My Jam
Add the bacon and onions to a saucepan over medium-low heat. Allow it to cook until the bacon is slightly crispy. Add the remaining ingredients and cook until the liquids have reduced and it has thickened.
- Finishing Touch
Sprinkle finely crushed pistachios over the bone marrow. Top with the bacon jam and serve with grilled bread for topping.
This recipe works on either a gas grill or charcoal grill. You will want to prepare your grill for direct grilling. I used my Aspire by Hestan gas grill.
Top Tip for Grilled Bone Marrow with Easy Balsamic Bacon Jam
The balsamic bacon jam for this recipe can be made ahead of time. You can store in in the refrigerator in an airtight container for several days and reheat it when ready to serve.
Grilled Bone Marrow with Easy Balsamic Bacon Jam
- 1 grill
- 1 saucepan
- 4 beef bones, split in half
- 2 tsp pistachios, finely ground
Balsamic Bacon Jam
- 1 lbs bacon, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced large
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp balsamic glaze
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Preheat the oven to 500-550 degrees.
- Place the bones marrow side up on the grill and close the lid. Allow them to grill for 10-15 minutes until the marrow is beginning to melt and bubble.
- Remove from the grill and sprinkle with pistachios.
- Top with balsamic bacon jam and serve with toasted crusted grilled Gluten Free bread.
Balsamic Bacon Jam
- Add the bacon and onions to a saucepan on medium/low heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is slightly crispy.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Allow to cook for 15-20 minutes or until the mixture has reduced and thickened.