There are certain foods that are just comforting and nostalgic. From the aroma that perfumes the air to the first chewy bite, some foods are like a hug for the soul. These Gluten Free Triple Berry Oatmeal Bars will instantly bring you back to childhood while making new memories for the next generation.
There are certain foods that always bring back fond memories. Chewy oatmeal cookies. Pretty homemade bars lined up at bake sales. The first jeweled berries of the summer. These Gluten Free Triple Berry Oatmeal Bars combine all three.
These ooey, gooey bars are filled with triple the sweet and juicy berry flavor. They're loaded with strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries that are cooked down to a jam-like texture.
When it comes to picking your berries, you always want to shop what's in season. They should be free of blemishes, deeply hued, and have that distinct sweet berry smell. Yes, smell your berries!
Once you get them home, if you're not using them that day store them in the refrigerator. Don't wash them until you're ready to use them to ensure they stay fresh.
While frozen berries work for some recipes, you really do want fresh berries for these Gluten Free Triple Berry Oatmeal Bars. Because they are going to be cooked down until they are jammy, the flavors will intensify. Frozen berries also tend to be more watery.
It's All in the Crumble with Gluten Free Triple Berry Oatmeal Bars
This sweet treat is as easy as one, two. The crust also acts as the crumble on top and aside from mixing that the only other step in this dessert is making the triple berry jam. Let's break down the step by step guide to get you to cutting out that first slice...and I definitely recommend going for a corner.
To begin with you are going to mix the crust/crumble. You will want your Dairy Free butter to be room temperature. This will ensure that the dough comes together quickly and smoothly without worry of over mixing. If you do this step ahead of time you can refrigerate the dough until you're ready to use.
For the triple berry portion of this confection, all of the berries, sugar, orange juice, and cornstarch go into a pot and are cooked on medium-low heat. Don't rush the cooking of the berries. This allows them to break down and thicken and maximizes their natural sweetness.
Once your berries have become thick and luscious you're going to add them to a blender or food processor. Be careful if they're still hot and let the lid on your blender breath a little so steam can escape. You can also allow them to cool slightly.
The next step is building your crust for these Gluten Free Triple Berry Oatmeal Bars. You need ¾ of your dough. You can use the bottom of a measuring cup for this to press down and make sure it's evenly distributed.
Next up is the jam, let that glorious deeply hued sauce glow over the crust. Use a spatula to spread it out.
Last, but never least, take your remaining dough and crumble it over the top. It doesn't have to be perfect. As it bakes it'll spread out.
Looking for more dessert ideas? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake. Now let's get baking!
Gluten Free Triple Berry Oatmeal Bars
- Mixing Bowl
- 9x13 baking dish
Triple Berry Jam
- 1 ½ cups strawberries, chopped
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup Dairy Free butter, room temperature
- 2 cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 3 cups quick cook rolled oats
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Triple Berry Jam
- Heat a medium stockpot over medium-low and add all of your ingredients.
- Stirring occasionally allow the berries to cook for 20 minutes. They should be broken down and thick.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Pour the cooked berry mixture into a blender and blend until almost completely smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add your butter, sugar, and eggs and mix until smooth.
- Add the rest of your ingredients and mix until just combine.
- Spread ¾ of your rolled oat dough into your baking dish.
- Pour the triple berry jam over the crust.
- Take your remaining dough and crumble over the top of the jam.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown. Allow to cool completely before cutting. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply