Were you one of those kids that needed the big sticky caramel apple at every fair or Halloween even? There's something about the combination of tart crisp apples and that molasses sweet caramel that is both comforting and nostalgic. This Gluten Free Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake will give you that childhood feeling but without need a trip to the dentist after!
This decadent and warm cake is a full sensory experience. Warm spices such as cinnamon and allspice perfuming the air. The crunch of walnuts joining the still slightly crisp caramelized apples. And we can't forget the way the fork feels sinking into this moist tender cake.
An Apple a Day...
If an apple a day is good for us, and cake makes people happy, this cake is practically a health food! Or at least it's loaded with apple flavor that will have you going back for seconds. With apples both baked into the cake and caramelized in the bottom with the sauce, this autumn spiced dessert bursts with big apple flavor.
Use whatever apples you like. If you like a more tart bite go with Granny Smith or Braeburn. For a more sweet bite Jonagold and Fuji are good options. To make the most of both worlds try combining two different kinds for both flavor and texture. Have fun playing with your favorite combinations!
Gluten Free Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake, Easy as Pie
Don't be intimidated by the title of this recipe. It's as easy as opening a can and mixing up a batter. For the caramel in this recipe we don't have to slave over a stove and babysit a caramel sauce making sure we get the right temp.
Instead, you just have to open a can of Dairy Free sweetened condensed milk and pour it into the bottom of your 10" round cake pan. It's that straightforward. As the cake bakes in the oven the condensed milk will thicken and caramelize while seeping into the cake and keeping it moist.
The most important rule with any cake is to never over mix. When adding the apples to the batter just lightly fold them in until they're incorporated.
To free your Gluten Free Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake from the pan once it's cooled, just run a knife around the sides. Next place your place or cake stand over the cake and give it a flip. Trust me, there is magic in that flip when you reveal the beautiful caramelized top.
Are you looking for more cake idea? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Champagne Cake with Yuzu Swiss Meringue. Now let's get baking!
Gluten Free Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake
- Mixing Bowl
- 10" round cake pan
- 2 ⅓ cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 3 cups apples, roughly chopped, divided
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup Dairy Free butter, room temp
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 can Dairy Free condensed sweetened milk
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spray a 10" round cake pan with nonstick baking spray.
- Add condensed sweetened milk to the bottom of the pan along with 2 cups of the apples. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add the sugar and eggs and mix for a couple of minutes until the sugar begins to dissolve and the eggs are a little frothy.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool. You can flip onto a plate or scoop out.
- If flipping over, run a knife around the entire cake to loosen. Place a plate or cake stand over the top and flip. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply