Do you consider carrot cake more of a spring time dessert, or fall favorite? I don’t know about you but I can eat it year round. This Gluten Free Spiced Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese frosting will convince you it’s perfect anytime.
Carrot cake is one of those classic desserts that seems to bring about instant nostalgia. The combination of spiced cake and tangy fluffy cream cheese frosting made us all know why Bug's was so protective of those carrots. This carrot cake packs a punch of flavors and textures and updates a classic.
Parsnips, Carrot's Feistier Relative
Not only does this Gluten Free Spiced Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting overflow with shredded carrots, it also has an equal amount of parsnips. While parsnips are closely related to carrots, with that natural sweetness, they also have a slight earthy and spicy flavor.
The combination of cinnamon, allspice, and cloves not only pairs well with the carrots, but also the parsnips. The delicate sassy flavor from the parsnips both amplifies and is enhanced by the spice. It adds to the moisture in this fully loaded cake.
Parsnips aren't the only boosts of flavor in this decadent cake. Walnut oil adds an extra touch of nuttiness that echoes the crunchy walnuts in each bite. Chewy sweet raisins bring their own flavor and texture to the party.
Easy Tips for Gluten Free Spiced Carrot Cake wit Cream Cheese Frosting
If you've read some of my other cake recipes, such as Gluten Free Raspberry Cake with Chocolate Buttercream, you know I like to set you up for tips to make baking both easy and fun.
As with any cake, regardless of if it's Gluten Free or not, you never want to over mix any of the ingredients. Be gentle when stirring in your flour and mix until just combined.
Check the date on your spices. If you only pull out that allspice around Thanksgiving, chances are it's expired. Spices play a big part in the flavors of this cake and you want to ensure they're fresh.
For smooth and creamy frosting, let your dairy free butter and cream cheese come to room temperature. This will ensure that they mix together evenly and give you that luxurious texture.
Now that I know you're craving a slice of cake, let's get baking!
Gluten Free Spiced Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- mixer/mixing bowl
- 2 8" cake pans or 1 9x13 pan
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 2 cups parsnips, shredded
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnut oil, can sub with canola oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 ½ tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp allspice
- 1 tsp kosher salt
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 16 oz Dairy Free cream cheese, room temp
- 8 tbsp Dairy Free butter, room temp
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 8" or 1 9x13 cake pan with nonstick baking spray.
- In a bowl add your eggs, oil, sugars, and vanilla. Mix for 3 minutes until sugar is dissolved and eggs are a little frothy.
- Add your remaining ingredients and mix until everything is just incorporated and evenly distributed. Don't over mix!
- Evenly pour into your two round cake pans, or 9x13 cake pan. Smooth out the top.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl.
- Mix until smooth and fluffy.
- Spread over cooled cake and decorate with walnuts. Slice and enjoy!
Leave a Reply