It’s always the right night for tacos, especially when they pop with the bright flavors of a zesty and crispy slaw and perfectly spiced succulent shrimp. Gluten Free Shrimp Tacos with Citrus Slaw is the healthy and colorful dish that will turn any meal into a fiesta!
Whatever the question, the answer is always tacos. They’re the universal taste of happiness and a food group unto themselves. Whether you’re topping them with Chile con Queso with Beef or wedges of creamy avocado, they’re fun, interactive, and just delicious. How many foods have a day of the week dedicated to them? These seafood tacos are a fun and fresh new take. Just add a pitcher of margaritas!
Tacos are as much about the toppings as they are the protein themselves. These Gluten Free Shrimp Tacos with Citrus Slaw are a celebration of both fresh ingredients and bright, fresh flavors.
- Shrimp – Skip the colossal shrimp. Large and extra-large shrimp work great for this shrimp recipe, giving you tender shrimp in every bite. However, you don’t want to pick shrimp that are too small as you risk them over baking in the oven.
- Healthy Rican Savory Spice – This spice blend contains less sodium than other spice blends and is black pepper free. It is made with all natural herbs and spices. It takes the guess work out of cooking and will make it easy to have a healthy and delicious meal on the table that much faster.
- Dairy Free Butter – Keeps the shrimp tender and juicy as the cook in the oven.
- Cabbage – The crispy, crunchy base of the slaw. Cabbage and seafood tacos are a perfect pairing giving both a slightly bitter flavor and all of the crispy bite you crave.
- Mayonnaise – The base for the creamy dressing for the citrus slaw.
- Citrus – Fresh is best! You will need freshly squeezed lemon, lime, and orange juice. This combination of citrus is common in Caribbean mojo.
- Vinegar – Adds tang and depth to the citrus slaw.
- Jalapeno – Gives a little kick to the slaw.
- Honey – Balances the tang of the creamy slaw dressing.
- Garlic – Gives a pungent savory pop without overpowering the flavors of the coleslaw.
- Salt and Pepper
- Toppings – Always think about the texture and flavors of your toppings. Avocado brings creaminess. Lime gives a bright pop that wakes up all of the flavors. And sunny cilantro delivers on herbaceous and citrusy flavor.
How to Make Gluten Free Shrimp Tacos with Citrus Claw
Taco night shouldn’t be complicated. This healthy and delicious meal utilizes the easy of a sheet pan dinner with a quick and easy coleslaw. Skip the takeout or going out and serve up this healthy and colorful meal your entire family will love.
Time needed: 45 minutes
Tender and perfectly spiced shrimp is combined with a bright and tangy mojo inspired slaw.
Whisk together the dressing ingredients for your coleslaw. Toss it with the shredded cabbage and jalapeno. Allow it to marinate for at least 15-30 minutes. You can make this earlier in the day and keep it refrigerated until ready to serve.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Peel and clean your shrimp.
Add your shrimp to a baking dish and season them with Healthy Rican Savory Spice. Dot the butter over the top.
Bake the shrimp for 7-15 minutes, or until they are opaque and pink and shaped like a C.
- Taco Time!
Top your tortillas with some of the slaw, the baked shrimp, and your favorite toppings.
Not feeling tortillas? Use the sheet pan shrimp and tangy citrus coleslaw as a base to create other dishes. Here are a few ideas.
- Bowl – Skip the tortilla and top your favorite rice with the baked shrimp, slaw, black beans, and all of your favorite bowl toppings.
- Salad – Use your favorite base of greens and add these perfectly spiced shrimp and slaw.
- Burrito – Isn’t a burrito just a giant taco? Add rice and beans to your favorite Gluten Free burrito sized tortilla. Black beans pair especially well with seafood.
- Tostadas – Top a tostada shell with this shrimp and slaw combination for a crunchy and delicious seafood feast!
This recipe is completely Dairy Free and Gluten Free. The same recipe can be made with dairy butter and your favorite tortillas.
How to Top Gluten Free Shrimp Tacos with Citrus Slaw
Who doesn’t love taco night and the fun of building your perfect taco? Here are just a few ideas on additional toppings you can add that will pair well with the mojo coleslaw.
- Pico de Gallo
- Fresh or Pickled Jalapenos
- Dairy Free Sour Cream
- Hot Sauce
- Pickled Onions
- Dairy Free Cheese
Both the baked shrimp and coleslaw make for great meal prep. They both need to be refrigerated and stored in an airtight container. They will keep for up to three days.
Top Tip for Gluten Free Shrimp Tacos with Citrus Slaw
If you purchase shrimp still in the shell, save those shells! They can be frozen and saved for a later date when you want to create your own fresh and flavor packed seafood stock.
Gluten Free Shrimp Tacos with Citrus Slaw
- 1 Baking Dish
- 1 Serving bowl
- 1 lbs large shrimp, peeled, cleaned, deveined
- 2 tbsp Healthy Rican Savory Spice Mix
- 3 tbsp Dairy Free butter
- Gluten Free tortillas
- toppings: avocado, lime, cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 jalapeno, diced, remove seeds for less heat if desired
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 3 cups cabbage, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add your shrimp to a baking dish and season with the Healthy Rican Savory Spice Mix. Toss to make sure they're coated.
- Dot the butter over the shrimp.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the shrimp are pink, opaque, and shaped like a C.
- To build your tacos add coleslaw to your tortilla. Top with the shrimp, avocado slices, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime. Enjoy!
- Add the mayo, citrus juice, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper, and garlic to a bowl. Mix to combine.
- Add the cabbage and jalapeno to the bowl and toss to fully coat and combine.
- Allow the coleslaw to sit for 20-30 minutes. This can be made earlier in the day and kept refrigerated until ready to use.