Sometimes you need to take a little moment and treat yourself. Breakfast is a perfect time of day to slow things down and nourish your soul while you nourish yourself. This Gluten Free Salmon Cake Breakfast Sandwich is the perfect morning start.
Eating fresh and healthy should never be complicated or time consuming. Using a few pantry staples this savory breakfast dish comes together easily.
Sunny Side Up
Everything is coming up sunny with this Gluten Free Salmon Cake Breakfast Sandwich. Awash is color and packed with flavor, this hearty yet light dish will have you raring to go while also taking time to just be in the moment.
I love this recipe because it starts with an underutilized pantry staple, canned salmon. That makes this dish ideal for creating a quick, yet protein packed breakfast, or even light lunch. Add a mimosa and it makes the perfect brunch!
While this recipe makes two breakfast sandwiches it can easily be doubled. I also love this because you can form the salmon cakes the night before and cook them up the next morning.
While canned salmon is the base of these salmon cakes, fresh parsley and dill bring an herbaceous note. In addition lemon zest adds that bright pop that balances the natural richness of salmon.
Bedrock Bakers English Muffins make the ideal base for these open-faced breakfast sandwiches. I love the flavor and texture of these English muffins and also love that they are 100% allergen free. Not only are they Gluten Free but they are also Dairy Free, grain free, and vegan.
Breakfast is Served with this Gluten Free Salmon Cake Breakfast Sandwich
Get your coffee brewing, or champagne chilling, and let's breakdown how easy this fresh and delicious breakfast sandwich is.
- Drain your favorite can of salmon. Pick something you love because it's the main flavor.
- Separate your eggs. You only need the egg yolks to create these salmon cakes. Save your egg whites for a quick breakfast scramble later in the week, or baking.
- Mix together all of the ingredients for your salmon cakes. Each ingredient plays a role for flavor, texture, and binding.
- When it comes to herbs, fresh is best. You only need a tablespoon each of the fresh dill and parsley.
- Preheat your skillet over medium heat. Add your olive oil. You want your skillet hot when you add the salmon cakes so they develop that beautiful sear and crust.
- Allow the first side to brown before flipping. It should only take 3-4 minutes per side, but don't rush it. This Gluten Free Salmon Cake Breakfast Sandwich won't take long.
- Cook your eggs however you like. Poached, over easy, sunny side up, and everything in between. I love creating that perfect bite of salmon cake, runny molten golden yolk, and English muffin.
- Have fun with your toppings. Avocado slices add a creamy element and compliment the salmon while microgreens add a fresh peppery note.
- Don't be afraid to double up on this recipe. It's easy for a relaxed morning for two, but also perfect to entertain with.
Are you looking for more easy breakfast ideas? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Easy Savory Breakfast Crepes. Now let's get cooking!
Gluten Free Salmon Cake Breakfast Sandwich
- Mixing Bowl
- Large skillet
- 5 oz canned salmon, drained
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp fresh dill
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- 2 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup Gluten Free bread crumbs
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Gluten Free English muffins
- avocado, sliced
- 2 eggs, cooked your favorite way
- pea tendrils or microgreens
- Mix all of the salmon cake ingredients together. Form into 2 patties.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat with a little olive oil.
- Add the salmon cakes to the hot pan.
- Allow the first side to cook 3-4 minutes before flipping, or until golden brown.
- Flip and cook the second side 3-4 minutes.
- To assemble your breakfast sandwich, toast your English muffin. Add sliced avocados and top with your favorite style egg. Finish with pea tendrils or microgreens.