What is your favorite fall dessert? There is something about a pumpkin roll that just announces cooler weather, the changing of the leaves, and the holidays. This Gluten Free Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Frosting is sure to become a new fall favorite.
Fun fact, I used to trade a friend one of my cheesecakes for her pumpkin roll every year. After finding just the right method I know how easy they are to make and will help you make these a tradition too.
A Holiday Classic
Just like a Yule log at Christmas, this Gluten Free Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Frosting is a holiday classic. There's something magic about how the tangy Dairy Free cream cheese frosting swirls and envelops every bite.
When it comes to creating a pumpkin roll, it's all about that perfect moist and slightly spongy texture. You want the cake to easily roll without breaking. While the pumpkin puree in the batter helps with this, using the right flour also matters.
My favorite flour for baking not only flavor and texture but also ease is Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour. Unlike many Gluten Free flours, this flour doesn't require any additions. You don't have to worry about adding any additional starches or xanthan gum. The work is already done for you.
Just as the right flour is important, so are your spices. You want the flavors of the cinnamon and pumpkin spice to shine. Always check the dates on your spices. If you don't remember the last time you used it or it's been a couple years since you pulled out the pumpkin spice this is the perfect time to refresh your spices.
Getting Your Roll on with Gluten Free Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Frosting
Get out your mixing bowls and parchment paper, and I will walk you through every step of making this seasonal treat!
- Pregame! Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line a 10x15 jelly roll pan, or half sheet pan, with parchment paper. This will be your tool later on to help you roll.
- Add your eggs, sugar, and pumpkin puree to a mixing bowl and mix for 3 minutes. Add the rest of your ingredients and mix until just combined. Don't over mix. You want to keep the cake tender and light.
- Spread your batter onto the parchment paper. An offset spatula works well for this.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Because the batter is spread out so thin, this bakes quickly.
- Using the parchment paper gently roll the cake up and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- While the cake is cooling, make your frosting. Make sure both your Dairy Free cream cheese and butter are at room temperature. This will allow you to mix the frosting easily and keep it smooth and creamy.
- Slowly unroll the pumpkin cake and peel off the parchment paper.
- Spread the frosting on your Gluten Free Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Gently roll the cake back up.
- Place the cake on a piece of plastic wrap and wrap it tightly. Allow to chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours before slicing.
Are you looking for more fun and festive recipes? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Sweet Potato Cake with Marshmallow Frosting. Now let's get baking!
Gluten Free Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 10x15 jelly roll sheet
- Mixing Bowl
- Parchment paper
- 1 cup Gluten Free 1 to 1 flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 10 oz Dairy Free cream cheese, room temperature
- 5 tbsp Dairy Free butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line your 10x15 jelly roll pan with parchment paper.
- Add your eggs, sugar, pumpkin puree, and vanilla to a bowl and mix for 3 minutes.
- Add your remaining ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spread your batter onto the parchment paper. Use an offset spatula to make sure it's evenly distributed.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Gently roll up the cake with the parchment paper and allow to completely cool on a cooling rack.
- Add all of your frosting ingredients to a bowl. Mix until fully combined and light and fluffy.
- Slowly unroll the cake and remove the parchment paper.
- Spread the frosting onto the cake, spreading evenly.
- Gently roll the cake back up.
- Place on a piece of plastic wrap and wrap tightly. Allow to chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours
- Unwrap the plastic wrap and slice and enjoy!
Why did mine stick to the parchment paper,?
Hello, I wouldn't recommend using parchment paper. This should go right onto a pan/baking dish. Thank you!