Summer is here and as much as I love being in the kitchen all day, sometimes I want a sweet treat without turning on the oven. These Gluten Free Peanut Butter Caramel Rice Krispie Treats are a fun and delicious confection the entire family will love.
I love all the different combinations of flavors for rice Krispie treats, such as my Gluten Free White Chocolate Blueberry Rice Krispie Treats. They're a nostalgic classic children and adults love.
Classic with a Twist
Gluten Free Peanut Butter Caramel Rice Krispie Treats give the childhood classic an update everyone can enjoy. These are so irresistible no one will think they're both Gluten Free and Dairy Free.
The base of these sticky sweet treats starts with Real Cereal Organic Brown Rice Crisps. I love that all of their products are Certified Organic, Gluten Free, and almost all of them are sugar free which makes the Brown Rice Crisps ideal for the sweet flavors of these treats.
Unlike many caramel recipes, you only need one ingredient for this caramel, and no candy thermometer required! Dairy Free sweetened condensed milk becomes sticky, luxurious, and ooey gooey as its allowed to cook. This caramel gives an entirely new level of flavor to the traditional butter and marshmallow combination.
The next layer of flavor comes from a cascade of melted peanut butter hugging the top of the rice Krispie treats. You can use your favorite brand for this.
What is peanut butter's best friend? Chocolate. You can use either Dairy Free semi-sweet chocolate chips, or a chocolate bar finely chopped. The final touch is a sprinkle of roasted peanuts to give that crunch and reinforce the peanut butter flavor.
How to Make Gluten Free Peanut Butter Caramel Rice Krispie Treats
Skip turning on the oven and mix up these sweet treats for your family and friends. These are a perfect make ahead dessert and also travel well.
Time needed: 50 minutes.
- Caramel Sauce
Place a large stockpot over medium heat. Add your Dairy Free butter and Dairy Free condensed sweetened milk. Allow it to cook for 5-8 minutes. It should thicken and turn a little darker in color.
- Ooey Gooey
Add your marshmallows and stir them until they melt into the caramel sauce and combine.
- Krispy Crunchy
Pour the brown rice crisps into the melted marshmallows and stir until they are fully coated.
- Spread it Out
This dessert will fit a 9x13 baking dish. Pour the marshmallow coated cereal out into the baking dish. Use a spatula to spread it out. Allow it to cool completely.
- Peanut Butter
Microwave your peanut butter for about 10 seconds, or until it is slightly melted and easy to pour. Spread over the cooled Gluten Free Peanut Butter Caramel Rice Krispie Treats. Allow the peanut butter to cool and harden.
Melt your Dairy Free semi sweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate in either the microwave or by creating a double boiler. Pour on top of the cooled peanut butter and spread it out with a spatula. Garnish with roasted peanuts if desired.
Top Tip for Making Gluten Free Peanut Butter Caramel Rice Krispie Treats
With so many allergens and food sensitivities, I am always looking for ways to make my recipes accessible to everyone. If you or one of your friends or family have a tree nut allergy, the peanut butter in this recipe can be replaced with sunflower seed butter.
In addition to providing its own unique flavor that is a great swap for peanut butter, sunflower seed butter also offers up additional nutrients. It's rich in protein, vitamin E, fiber, zinc, and iron.
One of my favorite ways to melt chocolate is with a double boiler. When you create a double boiler, it allows you to cook or melt something at a gentle heat without worry of over cooking it. This is useful for making custards, meringues, melting chocolate, etc. The best part is you don’t need any special tools.
Armed with a pot of simmering water and a glass bowl, you can easily create a double boiler at home. The key is to make sure the water never touches the bottom of the bowl. You want the steam created from the seal to do all of the work.
Gluten Free Peanut Butter Caramel Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 stockpot
- 1 9x13 baking dish
- 16 oz marshmallows
- 2 tbsp Dairy Free butter
- 7 cups Gluten Free brown rice crisps
- 6 oz Dairy Free sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter You can substitute with sunflower butter
- 1 cup Dairy Free semi sweet chocolate chips, or chocolate chopped fine
- roasted peanuts for garnish, optional
- Heat a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the sweetened condensed milk and butter.
- Allow the sweetened condensed milk to cook for 5-8 minutes. It should thicken slightly and darken a little in color.
- Add in the marshmallows and stir until they are melted.
- Add in your brown rice crisps and stir until they are completely coated.
- Pour the cereal mixture into the baking dish and spread out with a spatula. Allow it to cool completely.
- Place your peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about 10 seconds or until it is slightly melted.
- Spread the warmed peanut butter out on top of the rice Krispie treats. Allow it to cool.
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate in either the microwave or by creating a double boiler.
- Spread the chocolate out on top of the cooled peanut butter.
- Garnish with roasted peanuts if desired.
- Allow to cool before cutting.