Some flavor pairings are just a classic. Gluten Free Orange Cake with Chocolate Hazelnut Frosting is a celebration of the dynamic duo of sweet chocolate and tart and fruity oranges.
I love creating recipes that not only make baking easy, but also make the confection delicious for everyone, not just those who are Gluten Free or Dairy Free such as my Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Pudding Cake. Skip the boxed mix, and whip up what will sure to be one of your new favorites.
Gluten Free Orange Cake with Chocolate Hazelnut Frosting is just as easy to make as pulling out a box mixed. However, you have control over all of the ingredients. With just a few tips and tricks you will be reaching for that last slice.
This cake is all about a balance of flavors. The cake itself is tender, moist, and bursting with the fresh flavors of oranges.
Both orange juice and orange zest bring brightness to the cake, as well as help keep it tender and moist. Dairy Free Greek yogurt also offers up tang while keep this cake irresistibly soft.
While the cake itself is easy to make, the frosting only requires one single ingredient, Nucolato Hazelnut Spread. Not only is Nucolato Hazelnut Spread Gluten Free, it’s also free of palm oil and has no added sugar. It’s made with better for you ingredients you can feel good about!
How to Make Gluten Free Orange Cake with Chocolate Hazelnut Frosting
Celebrate the classic duo of oranges and chocolate with this light and bright cake. With just a few easy steps and one of my favorite pantry staples, this recipe is sure to become a family favorite.
Time needed: 2 hours and 45 minutes
The hardest part of making this delicious orange cake is waiting for it to cool enough to frost!
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9″ round cake pan with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
- Batter Up
Add the orange zest and sugar to a mixing bowl and mix for a couple of minutes to infuse the orange flavor into the sugar. Mix in the eggs, oil, orange juice, Dairy Free yogurt, and vanilla extract. Finally mix in the dry ingredients. Mix them until they are just incorporated so the cake stays tender.
- Bake it Up
Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cake to completely cool before frosting.
- Finishing Touch
Once the cake is cool remove it from its pan and place on a plate or cake stand. Pour the Nucolato Hazelnut Spread over the top. Use an offset spatula to spread it out evenly. Slice and enjoy!
Top Tip for Gluten Free Orange Cake with Chocolate Hazelnut Frosting
Whether you are making this cake, or any other recipe calling for citrus, always use both the zest and the juice when you can. The zest of citrus contains all of the flavorful and aromatic citrus oils which offer up a different layer of flavor. Always zest your citrus first, using a fine grater to just take off the colored portion of the skin. You don’t want any of the white portion, or pith as it is bitter. Squeeze your citrus after you have zested it.
Gluten Free Orange Cake with Chocolate Hazelnut Frosting
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 9" round cake pan
- 2 1/3 cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup Dairy Free Greek yogurt, plain
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Nucolato Hazelnut Spread for frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9" round cake pan with nonstick baking spray.
- Add the sugar and orange zest to a bowl and mix for a couple of minutes to release the oils from the zest and infuse the orange flavor into the sugar.
- Add your eggs, oil, orange juice, yogurt, and vanilla extract and mix for a couple of minutes until the sugar is partially dissolved and the mixture is lighter in color.
- Add your dry ingredients and mix until just combined, careful not to over mix.
- Pour your batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Once cool remove the cake from the pan and place on a serving plate or cake stand.
- Pour the chocolate hazelnut spread over the top and smooth out with an offset spatula.
- Slice and enjoy!