Can we agree that tacos are just a universal love language? What other food has its own day. People will wait in line for hours to try the best and make pilgrimages around tacos. These Gluten Free Mango Slaw Sweet Sake Shrimp Tacos will have friends and family flocking to your house.
I love the canvas of tacos. There’s not wrong combination of flavors and endless ideas for inspiration. They’re a perfect vehicle to travel the globe and combine different ingredients.
Playing with Spices
I love trying and experimenting with new spices. Sometimes I’ll pick something up specifically for a recipe, and sometimes I get a spice and the idea for a recipe will come from that. That is how these Gluten Free Mango Slaw Sweet Sake Shrimp Tacos were created.
When you start with beautiful, sweet, succulent shrimp, they don’t need a lot. That’s one of the things I love about cooking with shrimp is that they’re a perfect protein for just about any recipe. In addition, they’re quick cooking making them ideal for weeknight dinners.
For this recipe I am using Spiceology’s Sweet Teriyaki Sake seasoning. A combination of sweet, spicy, and tangy, this one ingredient brings bold flavor to both the shrimp and the mango slaw.
Speaking of the slaw, it takes these shrimp tacos from amazing to over the top. There’s something about that combination of crispy crunchy cool vegetables piled on top of tender warm shrimp, all hugged in a tortilla.
For this slaw recipe I am using cabbage, the sweet juicy pop of mango, fresh verdant cilantro, and the kick of jalapeno. The dressing is light, bright, and tangy with rice wine vinegar, lime juice, and honey.
Talking Taco with Gluten Free Mango Slaw Sweet Sake Shrimp Tacos
These tacos are perfect for a fun and festive lunch or easy weeknight meal. Let’s taco-bout tips to get these from skillet to plate.
- Pat your shrimp dry before seasoning them. This will both help the seasoning stick, but also give you that pretty sear instead of simply steaming them.
- Fully heat your skillet before adding your shrimp. If your skillet isn’t large enough cook your shrimp in batches. You don’t want to over crowd them.
- Shrimp cook quickly. Depending on the size they only take approximately 3 minutes per side. Their pink will turn brighter, and the white whiter. When they begin to turn opaque on the side it’s time to flip.
- You want to give your mango slaw a little time to sit so the flavors can marry. Slaw is one of those dishes that gets better the longer it sits. I recommend at least 10 minutes.
- Because the slaw in these Gluten Free Mango Slaw Sweet Sake Shrimp Tacos has so much flavor, you don’t need that many toppings. I love adding slices of avocado for creaminess and an additional squeeze of lime.
Are you looking for more taco night inspiration? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Chicken and Chorizo Tacos with Tropical Slaw. Now let’s get cooking!
Gluten Free Mango Slaw Sweet Sake Shrimp Tacos
- Large skillet
Sweet Teriyaki Sake Shrimp
- 1 lbs shrimp, cleaned
- 1 1/2 tbsp Sweet Teriyaki Sake seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups cabbage, sliced
- 1/2 cup mango, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp Sweet Teriyaki Sake seasoning
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Gluten Free tortillas
- avocado slices
- lime wedges
Sweet Teriyaki Sake Shrimp
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil.
- Pat shrimp dry. Toss shrimp and seasoning in a bowl, making sure all sides are seasoned.
- Add shrimp in an even layer to the skillet, making sure not to crowd. It's ok to cook them in batches.
- Cook shrimp approximately 3 minutes per side or until they begin to slightly curl and they turn pink. Remove them from the pan.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Allow to sit at least ten minutes before serving.
- To assemble your tacos, add shrimp to a tortilla. Top with slaw. Add a couple avocado slices and serve with a lime wedge. Enjoy!