Can we all agree that regardless of the question, tacos are always the right answer? No bad decision ever started with tacos. These Gluten Free Chicken and Chorizo Tacos with Tropical Pineapple Slaw will be the best decision you've made.
Tacos are fun, happy, and universally appealing. They are easy to adapt to any palate or dietary need. They're the ultimate canvas to fuse different flavors and in the case of these Gluten Free Chicken and Chorizo Tacos with Tropical Pineapple Slaw, perfect for tying together sweet and savory.
What makes the perfect taco for you? I love how tacos combine warm and cool. Soft and crisp. Vibrant and muted. Tacos can be anything you want them to be. I mean, we all remember the Choco Taco.
When it comes to serving Gluten Free and Dairy Free meals that everyone will love, tacos always please. These tasty handhelds combine bright citrus marinated chicken with spicy and savory chorizo. The sweet pop of pineapple tames the heat while kale provides plenty of crunch.
These colorful and fresh tacos will have everyone going back for seconds. It's just as easy to double and triple the recipe making these perfect for entertaining and feeding a crowd.
Let's Taco 'Bout Gluten Free Chicken and Chorizo Tacos with Tropical Pineapple Slaw
These tacos come together quickly and easily. With just a few tips you'll be hosting your own taco party.
First, I am using chicken thighs in this recipe. They are a truly forgiving cut of meat and stay succulent and juicy with more flavor. However if you like chicken breast, feel free to substitute with boneless skinless chicken breast. You will just need to adjust the cooking time.
Second, please use fresh citrus juice in this recipe. Nothing else can replicate that sunny and bright flavor of freshly squeezed citrus. You will also need the zest of both an orange and a lime, offering up that aromatic citrus oil.
Let's talk kale, specifically kale slaw. This sweet and earthy slaw provides that cravable crunch while also bringing the freshness to compliment the double dose of meat in these tacos.
When cutting your kale, you want to first strip the leaves from the stems. Next, make sure when slicing you slice the leaves into thin ribbons. This will help them break down and soften a little more in the dressing. When it comes to the light, bright dressing you want this slaw to have time to marinate. I recommend at least 20 minutes but this slaw can be made earlier in the day.
Looking for more taco inspiration? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Birria Tacos with Beef Consommé. Now let's make Gluten Free Chicken and Chorizo Tacos with Tropical Pineapple Slaw!
Gluten Free Chicken and Chorizo Tacos with Tropical Pineapple Slaw
- Cutting board
- Mixing Bowl
Chicken and Chorizo
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 orange, juiced and zested
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 lbs Mexican style chorizo, removed from casing
- 2 cups kale, stems removed, finely chopped
- 1 cup pineapple, chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced (remove seeds for less heat if desired)
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- *lime wedges and avocado slices for serving
Chicken and Chorizo
- Combine the citrus juices and zest and seasonings. Pour over the chicken in either a ziplock bag or shallow dish and allow to marinate 1 hour up to 6 hours.
- Remove chicken from the marinade and pat dry.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add 1 tbsp of coconut oil.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and cover. Cook approximately 5 minutes on the first side before flipping. Cook another 5 minutes until chicken is golden brown and the internal temperature is 165.
- Set aside the chicken and allow to cool.
- Add the chorizo to the same pan, turning heat to medium. Using the back of a spoon or masher break up the chorizo into smaller chunks. Allow to brown and get slightly crispy.
- Chop up the chicken into bite sized cubes. Add into the skillet with the chorizo and cook for several minutes until the chicken begins to get a little crispy.
- Combine all of the ingredients together and allow to marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- To assemble tacos add chicken-chorizo mixture to a gluten free tortilla. Top with the slaw, avocado slices, and lime. Enjoy!