It might be cold outside but there is nothing like a sweet treat to warm the heart and soul. Gluten Free Hot Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats are a fun confection that gives you all the cozy comfort of your favorite cold weather beverage.
Rice Krispie treats are such a nostalgic classic for a reason. They're perfect in their purest form, but so much fun to customize, like Gluten Free Chocolate Caramel Rice Krispie Treats. This ooey and gooey version gives you all the flavors of the classic with a hot cocoa twist.
Not only are Gluten Free Hot Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats one of the easiest things you'll ever make, but they also only require a handful of ingredients. Sticky, sweet, and just as much fun to make as they are to eat, these are also easy to shop for.
- Marshmallows - These become both part of the sticky, luscious sauce that holds this confection together and also are added at the end to echo the melting marshmallows in a cup of hot chocolate.
- Dairy Free Butter - Combined with the marshmallows, becomes part of the glue to these irresistible treats.
- Brown Rice Crisp Cereal - The Real Cereal Company Organic Brown Rice Crisps are Gluten and Dairy Free, made with 100% whole grain, and are made with a single ingredient, organic brown rice. They're certified organic and are light, airy, and crunchy.
- Hot Chocolate Dry Mix - Use your favorite variety. Combined with the butter this forms the base that the cereal gets topped in.
- Mini Chocolate Chips - Why have only one form of chocolate when you can have two? These add texture and depth of flavor to every bite. Plus who doesn't want more chocolate?
How to Make Gluten Free Hot Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
The only actual cooking required to make these sweet treats is melting the butter, hot chocolate, and marshmallows. This is the ideal dessert to get your kids into the kitchen with and have them help.
Time needed: 40 minutes.
Marshmallows and hot chocolate come together to give this classic dessert a seasonal twist.
- Hot Cocoa
Add the butter and hot chocolate mix to a stockpot over medium heat. Stir for three minutes.
Remove one cup of marshmallows from the bag and set aside. Add the remaining marshmallows into the stock pot and stir until they are melted and smooth. Remove from the heat.
Add the cereals and cup of marshmallows and stir until they are fully coated.
Pour the mixture into a 9x13 casserole dish. Top with mini chocolate chips.
Allow the mixture to cool completely and then cut and serve!
This recipe is completely Dairy Free. However, you can replace the Dairy Free butter in it with regular butter.
This dessert is a great make ahead. As it sits it will become a little more stable as the marshmallows reharden. Keep it completely covered at room temperature and it will keep for 3-4 days.
Top Tip for Gluten Free Hot Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
The key to the sticky, ooey, goey molten marshmallows that hold these Rice Krispie Treats together is to continually stir them. This will ensure that they melt and allow them to mix in with the butter and hot chocolate mixture.
Gluten and Dairy Free Hot Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 stockpot
- 1 9x13 casserole dish
- 16 oz marshmallows, set aside 1 cup
- 4 tbsp Dairy Free butter
- 8,5 oz Real Cereal Company Organic Brown Rice Crisps
- 3 tbsp dry hot chocolate mix
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Add the butter and hot chocolate mix to a stock pot on medium heat.
- Stir for 3 minutes until fully melted.
- Remove 1 cup of marshmallows from the bag and set aside.
- Add the remaining marshmallows and continue to stir until they are fully melted and smooth.
- Turn off the heat. Stir in the cereal and remaining marshmallows.
- Pour the mixture into a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Top with mini chocolate chips.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Cut and serve!