Are you team sweet, or team savory? Or do you like to have your cake, and a little slice of savory too? With this Gluten Free Fresh Fig and Honey Olive Oil Cake, you can have the best of both worlds.
It’s no secret that I adore figs. I love their ability to be the star of savory dishes such as my recipe for Easy Fig Miso Glazed Chicken with Leek Mushroom Rice or a sweet treat such as this.
Getting Figgy With It
Fig season is one of the shorter produce seasons, usually only running mid May to October. This Gluten Free Fresh Fig and Honey Olive Oil Cake is the perfect way to celebrate these sweet, juicy, jam like fruits.
When it comes to picking ripe figs, you want to ensure that when you press gently on the skin, it gives a little and is a little soft. Think of it as pressing on a peach. You want that give.
Different types of figs have different flavor profiles and levels of sweetness. Some are more berry like, others more like honey, while others still can be compared to sugar. They truly are nature’s candy.
This cake is loaded with fresh figs as well as topped with fresh figs, so pick a variety you like. Mission figs are the most common variety you’ll find in the store with their deeply blackish-purple skin.
La Dolce Vita with Gluten Free Fresh Fig and Honey Olive Oil Cake
As impressive as this fresh and vibrant cake is, it’s also equally as easy to make. With just a few simple tips you will be having your figs, and eating the cake too.
First, ingredients matter. Just like I recommend using figs that you love, I also recommend using an olive oil you enjoy the flavor of. It’s a start ingredient in this cake, not just for moisture and texture but also providing its rich luxurious flavor. Unlike adding vegetable oil to a batter, the assertive flavor of olive oil won’t just shine through but also highlight the other ingredients in the cake.
Second, don’t over mix. As with all of my baking recipes I like to reiterate being gentle with your batter. This is a denser cake because of the olive oil, but still tender and moist.
My third tip is for the baking itself. You can either bake this in a loaf pan such as I did, or bake it in a round cake pan. The choice is completely up to you and will only affect the appearance. That said, there’s something about cakes baked in a loaf pan that makes it a little more okay to have a slice for breakfast.
My last tip is for the whipped ricotta topping. I am using Dairy Free to keep this Gluten Free Fresh Fig and Honey Cake also completely free of dairy. In order to achieve that creamy, fluffy texture you need to let it come to room temperature before mixing.
Now that I l know you’re craving a warm slice of fig cake enrobed in fluffy Dairy Free ricotta and honey frosting, let’s get baking!
Gluten Free Fresh Fig and Honey Olive Oil Cake
- Mixing Bowl
- loaf pan or 9" cake pan
- 1 3/4 cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 cup fresh figs, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3 eggs
Honey Whipped Ricotta
- 8 oz Dairy Free ricotta, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- Sliced figs for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray loaf pan or 9" cake pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add the eggs, butter, honey, and sugar. Beat until frothy and sugar is mostly dissolved, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the figs and oat milk and mix until evenly distributed.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour into your prepared cake or loaf pan. For a cake pan it should take 45-55 minutes. If baked in a loaf pan it should take 60-75 or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool.
Honey Whipped Ricotta
- Add the ricotta, honey, and powdered sugar to a bowl. Mix until fluffy and smooth.
- Spread on the top of the fig cake and top with fresh figs if desired. Enjoy!