Some things just belong together. Meatballs and marinara sitting pertly atop a sub roll are the ultimate pairing. These Gluten Free Double the Meat Meatball Subs combine all good things in the perfect bite.
Which came first, the meatball or the marinara? In my house as soon as the marinara starts simmering away on the stove, I know my husband is going to want meatballs. And if you have meatballs, you have to have a meatball sub.
Rich, decadent, and savory, meatball subs just equal comfort. Warm crusty Gluten Free rolls barely containing the meat drippings while capturing that slightly sweet and tangy marinara beg to be eaten at expense of singeing your taste buds.
I'm serving these meatballs on My Bread Bakery Original Baguettes.
It Starts with the Sauce
To begin with, we need a really good sauce. For this recipe I'm using the marinara recipe you can find in my Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan and Dairy Free Alfredo.
With an aromatic combination of herbs and three types of tomato products providing texture and layers of flavor the thick chunky texture hugs the curves of these savory and moist meatballs.
Because we are baking these meatballs in the oven instead of pan frying them, it's easy to have your marinara sauce going before prepping the meatballs.
The Double in Gluten Free Double the Meat Meatball Subs
What makes a perfect meatball? In these tender and savory bites it's all about the combination of beef and pork. While the beef brings richness the pork keeps these meatballs juicy while adding depth of flavor.
Because there's ground pork in these meatballs, you can use a leaner ground beef such as 85/15 or 90/10. The pork will add that extra lusciousness. That not only makes these meatballs delicious, it makes them easily adaptable to what you have on hand.
The perfect meatballs require a balance of textures. They should have that crusty exterior while remaining a delicate inside.
The first step in making these meatballs starts with soaking the gluten free bread crumbs in oat milk and eggs. This step at the beginning will help keep the finished product tender.
Sautéed onions and a generous addition of Dairy Free parmesan cheese add both a little natural sweetness, and savory nuttiness. Just a quick mix, scoop using an ice cream scoop, and off to the oven they go.
I know you're craving Gluten Free Double the Meat Meatball Subs now, so let's get cooking!
Gluten Free Double the Meat Meatball Subs
- Mixing Bowl
- ice cream scoop
- Broiler Pan
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 lbs ground pork
- 1 cup Dairy Free parmesan, plus extra for serving
- 1 cup oat milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 4 tbsp Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 cup Gluten Free bread crumbs
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 onion, sautéed and cooled small
- Marinara sauce
- Gluten Free rolls for serving
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the Gluten Free bread crumbs, oat milk, eggs, and salt and pepper. Allow to sit five minutes.
- Add the rest of your ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Using a 2" to 3" inch ice cream scoop, portion out your meatballs and place onto the broiler pan.
- Cook meatballs for 20-25 minutes or until browned and cooked through, Meatballs should read 165.
- To assemble your meatball subs, add meatballs to the top of your split rolls. Top with warm marinara and extra Dairy Free Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!