What is your food love language? There’s something about a sauce that cooks all day paired with pasta that just says I love you. This Gluten Free Decadent Meaty Pasta Bolognese is the perfect way to show those in your life how special they are.
Bolognese is a labor of love. It’s one of those dishes that takes time and you can’t rush. However that time equals flavor. The longer it cooks, the thicker and more decadent it gets, and the more the flavors marry and get deeper.
All About the Meaty
There are two types of meat in this Gluten Free Decadent Meaty Pasta Bolognese recipe, ground beef and ground pork. Both lend their own unique richness and flavor. Because meat is a star of the dish you want to use quality ingredients.
For the ground beef I used Richards Grassfed Beef. Richards Grassfed Beef is certified by the American Grassfed Association. Their cattle grazes on thousands of acres of lush, vibrant grass free of fertilizers. They’re never given antibiotics or hormones and because it’s grassfed it’s naturally leaner, lower in cholesteral, and high in vitamins A & B as well as Omega-3 fatty acids.
If you haven’t had grassfed beef, it’s the taste of what beef should be. Deeper and more rich and intensely flavored, it’ll add depth to everything you cook, such as this Bolognese.
Gluten Free Decadent Meaty Pasta Bolognese, That’s Amore!
Italy is my favorite place to immerse myself in and enjoy the wealth of incredible regional dishes. It’s all about slowing down and enjoying the harmonious balance of beautiful ingredients.
For the tomato portion of the sauce I recommend using strained tomatoes. They’re only briefly cooked, and then strained of seeds and skin. It’s a finer texture than crushed tomatoes. You can usually find strained tomatoes in a box and sometimes a glass jar.
The actual work of creating the perfect Bolognese is all at the front part of cooking. Besides chopping, the only other real step is to brown your meat. That layer of brown crust adds to the flavor and enhances the depth. After that you just need to let the pot do the work with an occasional stir.
The longer this cooks, the thicker and more luxurious it’ll become. You want it to hold up on its own as well as hug your favorite Gluten Free pasta. This recipe makes enough for two boxes of pasta so feel free to invite friends over and take them on a mini trip to Italy with this dish.
Love pasta? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free White Wine Lemon Chicken Pasta. Now crack open that bottle of wine and let’s make Bolognese!
Gluten Free Decadent Meaty Pasta Bolognese
- Large stock pot/Dutch oven
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1 lbs ground pork
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped large
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup oat milk
- a couple of dashes of nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups strained tomatoes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups celery, chopped
- Gluten Free pasta, cooked, for serving
- Dairyt Free ricotta, whipped until creamy, for topping, optional
- Heat a large stock pot on medium heat and add oil.
- Add the ground meats and the onion, and allow to brown until the meat is cooked, breaking up the large chunks with the back of your spoon.
- Add the oat milk and nutmeg and stir to combine. Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and bring to a low boil. Allow to simmer stirring occasionally.
- Cook for 1-2 hours, allowing the sauce to reduce and thicken. The longer it cooks the more depth of flavor it will develop.
- Serve with Gluten Free pasta and top with whipped Dairy Free ricotta.